Can I get Rhinoplasty surgery while in the military?

I'm going to basics in about 3 weeks but after I'll be in San Antonio for about a year. I really want to get rhinoplasty surgery and was wondering if I have to tell anyone I'm even getting it or ask for permission. I will have the funds and can take 2-3 weeks leave.

RHINOPLASTY SURGERY WHILE IN THE MILITARY

Dear martinez003, First and foremost thank you for your service. While each case may differ I have performed many rhinoplasty procedures on patients who are serving in the military who are on leave. If you do have leave then you can generally do this with no problems. Many patients will set up consultations via email and facetime, pre-op's through the mail and then be prepared for their procedure immediately so they can take full advantage of the time off for recovery. If you are not on leave and requesting time off they will require some medical "need" like breathing complications in order to release you for the time and this may be denied depending on the circumstances. See some rhinoplasty examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty procedure

3 weeks is an adequate amount of time to get a rhinoplasty performed and recover.  It is important not  to undergo any strenuous exercise for that period of time.  It is important not to get hit in the nose for the first 6 weeks after the procedure.  Full healing takes at least a year, but it depends upon the skin type and specific techniques performed.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video

Rhinoplasty

With the amount of leave you have there is plenty of time to have the surgery while in the military.  Be careful in the first few weeks following surgery not to get hit or bumped.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD