Will a Lip Lift Help to Show Upper Teeth when I Smile?

When my mouth is closed it looks pretty normal, but when I smile, my top lip don't lift up to show my teeth. It hangs over my teeth like a curtain. I have really perfect teeth that don't show and I don't know what to do.

If i force a smile it shows but does not look natural. Would a Lip lift help?

Lip shortening

Your lip is not long, and does not need shortening. I yet have to see a lip shortening scar that I liked, or did not need revision.

Lip lift candidate

Thank you for question and sharing your photo.  A lip lift procedure would be ideal to shorten the distance between your upper lip and the base of the nose.  It is a simple office-based procedure, often done with local anesthesia and can help you achieve more teeth show when you smile as well as more lip show.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs lip lifts as part of their practice.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

No lip lift

According to this picture the distance between you lip and nose appears smaller and therefore I would be somewhat reluctant to advise a lip lit. Your vermillion and mucosa seem relatively larger and a lip reduction could help show more of your teeth. Another problem could be the inclination of your teeth. I would discuss this both with your dentist and plastic surgeon.

Will a lip lift improve my smile?

Dear Tamryn

Many thanks for posting your question and photograph. From what I can see, it is likely that you would benefit from a lip lift, performed as an office-based procedure under local anaesthetic.

It is important to see a plastic surgeon with experience of lip lifts for an in-person examination to ensure that it is the right procedure for you

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Balance of Upper and Lower Lip

The main purpose of the lip lift is to obtain the correct balance of the upper and lower lip, gain more vermillion show and be able to see 2-3 mm if incisoral show with a modest smile while the mouth is slightly opened. It is important to access the dentition before any lip lifting. If the front teeth are very short and the lip length is in the correct balance then maybe a dental approach would be more appropriate. Classically, however, there is usually lack of incisoral show when the upper lip is long. Remember also if a significant lip lift is done centrally a corner lift procedure most likely will be required to balance the amount of vermillion or lip show.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift and tooth show while smiling

Measure the distance between the base of the nostrils and the red part of your lip. If it is more than 1.5 centimeters you could get a good result.

If you hold your mouth slightly open and the upper front teeth don't show, lip lift would definitely help.

Check out the video below and the web link for more info to see if you are a good candidate.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Lip lift not a good idea to help smile

I would strongly caution you against having any type of “lip lift” procedure. At best, it will probably make your gums too visible. Most likely, surgery of this nature will produce an unnatural and perhaps a deforming appearance. Your pictures indicate that you are pretty with nice features and a nice natural smile. This is your anatomy. I recommend that you try to accept your good looks.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip shortening

Lip lift may potentially help with an enhanced show of your upper teeth. However the scar which is placed under you nose is often very visible. Also other forms of lip lift will leave scars that can be highly disturbing. In addition,an under bite may be the cause of this. The latter can be corrected by orthognatic dentistry.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Lip Plump to Help Disguise Upper Teeth with Smiling

Whether you’ve noticed your lips thinning over time, or simply want fuller lips, JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC or RESTYLANE SILK can give you natural-looking results that lasts more than 9 months. In fact, 78% of people treated experienced improvement in satisfaction with the look and feel of their lips 1 year later

A skilled injector can help to perfect a gummy-smile with the simple treatment of lip augmentation!

#RestylaneSILKlips   #JuvadermULTRAlips    #lipenhancement

Upper Lip Enhancement with Restylane SILK or Juvaderm ULtra XC

Whether you’ve noticed your lips thinning over time, or simply want fuller lips, JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC or RESTYLANE SILK can give you natural-looking results that lasts more than 9 months. In fact, 78% of people treated experienced improvement in satisfaction with the look and feel of their lips 1 year later!

We suggest finding a reputable practice with expert injectors for the blend of science and artistry! Filling the upper lip to cover a gummy-smile is an simple solution!

#lipenhancement #JuvedermUltra #RestylaneSilk

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS