If Sculptra didn't work on me, do you think Voluma will?

I had 2 vials of sculptra 6 months ago and another 2 vials 7 weeks ago and it just didn't do much. Do you think Voluma will work better?

Sculptra Vs. Voluma

Sculptra is not a volumizer it is a stimulator.  It works to increase collagen over time 6-12 months and then lasts 3-5 years.  I typically do both immediate fillers (voluma, juvaderm perlane, radiesse ect) at the same time or in conjunction with Sculptra which is a stimulator.  The Sculptra is the foundation for the other fillers and keeps them lasting longer.  Voulma "works" for everyone as it is immediate when injected, however, the results are technique dependent.  So chose your physician wisely.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra and Voluma

Thank you for your question. Sculptra is a collagen stimulator that can last up to 2 years. The recommendation is one vial per decade of life, for example, if you're 40, then you will need 4 vials. That's 2 vials every 4 weeks until you reach the recommended treatment. Voluma is FDA approved for cheek fat loss. If the area of concern is only cheeks, then Voluma is great. If it's full face volume loss, then I would recommend Sculptra. I hope this helps!

Voluma in Santa Monica

Voluma can directly increase volume and projection in the mid cheek and we have seen amazing results with the product.  Sculptra is also very useful, but is a stimulatory filler. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sculptra vs. Voluma

Sculptra® can take up to 6 months to manifest full results while Voluma® results are immediate. Consult a board-certified dermatologist to see what you should do at this moment. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Sculptra and Voluma

Thanks for your question and let’s make sure that you understand things a little more so that you are able to make the right decision for you and that others reading this understand the process a little more.

First, I always recommend that these procedures be done by expert injectors working with board-certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons – they know these products best and know how they are supposed to work. You had Sculptra 6 months ago – and I am assuming 2 vials at the same setting. Then you waited 4 months for the next set of injections; this is way too long and not how Sculptra works best. You need to have a series of injections every 4-6 weeks to achieve the best results with the product – as it helps stimulate and grow new collagen. To me, waiting all this time was like starting over in how to achieve the best results and the most new collagen as a result.

Voluma will work now – and again, I would suggest making sure you are at a skilled injector and have the needed follow-up visits if you need them.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Voluma

I personally believe Voluma is a much more predictable, consistent product than Sculptra. All of the volume added by Voluma is instantly visible, and controllable by the injector.The injector does not have any meaningful control over the volume created by Sculptra,  because the amount of volume created depends upon the body's reaction to the product over the first few months after injection.  I would suggest you go ahead and try the Voluma. I use a lot of Voluma in my practice, with high satisfaction. I do not use Sculptra because I do not find it predictable enough. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Vs. Sculptra

These two fillers are both used successfully to volumize the face; however, they have very different mechanisms of action. Sculptra is a biostimulatory filler.  That means it triggers your own body to produce collagen. This process takes time and also requires multiple treatments that build slowly on each other.   Voluma is a Hyaluronic Acid filler which can be strategically placed to provide lift and fullness in the cheeks.  The results of Voluma are immediate so the benefits may be noticeable sooner than with Sculptra which provides a slow improvement over time.

Michele Grodberg, MD
Englewood Dermatologist

Sculptra vs Voluma

If you are referring to cheek augmentation, I would recommend Voluma in your situation for 2 reasons:

(1) Both fillers have different mechanisms of action. Sculptra stimulates further collagen growth which can take time, and has variable effects based on everyone's own unique metabolism. Voluma, on the other hand, occupies the deep space it is injected to and provides an immediate lift. The result "on the table" is very similar to the long-term result you will experience, which may last up to 2 years.

(2) Voluma is the only FDA-approved filler for cheek augmentation. 

Make sure your surgeon or dermatologist has significant experience with Voluma. As Voluma is a new filler manufactured by Allergan, most injectors' experiences are limited. I would seek out a plastic surgeon in your area who has extensive experience with injecting cheek fillers and typically performs many facial surgeries, as he/she is thus more likely to be familiar with the anatomy in that area, which can be variable even from one side of the face to the other. I would also ask for a plastic surgeon who took the Allergan Expert Hands-on training course specific for Voluma injection.

Sculptra versus Voluma

Sculptra works by evoking your body's natural ability to make collagen. Personally, I have found the response to Sculptra to be quite variable from one patient to the next. This is not surprising since Sculptra depends on the patient 's metabolic machinery to produce a result (collagen).  While some patients respond quickly and favorably to Sculptra, others require a greater amount of product over a longer period of time. In contrast, Voluma is a filling agent that acts to occupy space, thereby expanding and stretching the overlying skin. Voluma does not depend on the patient's ability to make collagen and the results are immediate and consistent from one patient to the next. Since you appear to be a slow or poor responder to Sculptra, I would strongly recommend you try Voluma. Best of luck.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Voluma better than Sculptra

Voluma and Sculptra are excellent long term filler options for facial volume augmentation.  The difference between the two fillers is their mechanism of action.  Sculptra works via a tissue reaction and the results of added facial volume are seen weeks after the treatment.  Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler gel which functions to provide immediate volume in the area injected.  Since the effect of Voluma are immediate, and via a different mechanism of action, I feel it would be a good option to try.  Facial Fat Transfer is also an excellent option for facial volume augmentation which can provide more profound results.  Good Luck.

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon