3 wks post op Voluma filler in nose, my nose is very red with no sign of improvements. Should I have the filler removed? (photo)

I am very concerned that my nose is still very red with no sign of improvement in the last week. should I have the filler removed? If I do, will this get rid of the redness? I'm absolutely terrified that this is vascular compromise and my doctor is very hard to get hold of.

Red Nose after Voluma

Thank you for the picture.  I think this is a concerning complication of Voluma and needs to be addressed immediately.  Voluma is the only FDA-approved filler for cheek augmentation, and should be predominantly used in that area. 

Due to the redness and lack of improvement of your nose, I would highly recommend the following:

(1) Personal evaluation and examination by the dermatologist or surgeon who injected you.  If he/she is still "very hard to get hold of", then ask your primary care physician to get in touch with him/her.  You may also seek out another clinician in your area who has plenty of experience with injectable fillers. 

(2) Hyaluronidase (aka Vitrase) -- this will help dissolve some of the Voluma and likely improve the swelling and redness.

(3) Antibiotic coverage -- redness (in addition to swelling, drainage, tenderness, and warmth) are some of the signs of a possible infection and need to be treated with antibiotics, likely 1-2 weeks.

(4) Close follow-up:  the person who injected you should treat this complication, and arrange for close, scheduled follow-ups.

Good luck.

If you are concerned ensure you follow up with your injector to discuss treatment.

Thank you for your question,

If you are concerned ensure you follow up with your injector to discuss treatment. You can have an injection to dissolve product .

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Nose redness after liquid rhinoplasty with Voluma

I don't see anything that I would consider outrageous vascular issues or compromise, but you need to be evaluated in person. I would not recommend seeing a physician that is "very hard to get ahold of". Post care is very important in being a physician. See someone - even if it wasn't your original injector!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Redness of nose after liquid rhinoplasty filler injections

Redness of the nose after filler injections three weeks out is concerning.  I would consult with your surgeon ASAP to evaluate for infection, vascular compromise, or other complications.  You may need to have the filler dissolved and possibly go on a course of antibiotics but discuss this with your doctor for recommendations.  

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Problems after Voluma injections in the nose

The nose is At higher risk than some other areas to developing significant problems after filler injections.I would followup with the physician who injected you immediately for further evaluation.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red nose after Voluma Liquid Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and picture.

Injection of fillers into the distal 1/3 of the nose can be difficult and sometimes dangerous. The skin in this areas is very adherent and thick. Extreme caution must be taken.

You need to return to see your injector who hopefully is a licensed provider. If not, see two or more licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Red Nose After Voluma

Hi Charlie. This could be an infection or the beginnings of vascular compromise. Using Voluma in the nose requires great expertise and knowledge of the blood supply in the area to avoid complications. You need an in-person consultation. If you can't get a hold of your doctor then find another physician with experience in non-surgical nose jobs that you can see sooner rather than later. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Voluma and the nose

Voluma is a fabulous injection for an immediate lift in the mid-face area.  However, Voluma is not meant for the nose area.  If your physician is not responsive please consult a board certified dermatologist in your area with experience with Voluma to help you.  You may need the Voluma removed with Vitrase.

Volume into Nose

Your doctor is the best person to assess you, since he/she knows your appearance before the injection, how much was injected, and exactly where the Volume was injected. He/she can do a physical examination to assess the blood supply.

If your doctor is difficult to get ahold of, speak to his/her staff and explain your concern. If you absolutely can't get ahold of your doctor, look for another board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Click on the link below for help in finding a good doctor.

Good luck.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon