Will my upturned nose tip ever come down? (Photo)

I had my rhinoplasty 5 days ago. I am now very very upset and depressed about my new nose because it is very upturned and piggy looking. It is at such a severe angle that I don't really see it coming back down in alignment with my face. The nostrils are also very misaligned. I know that people say it's because of the swelling, but honestly, I don't think the reduction of swelling will have any affect on the tip on the long run. I feel like My old nose looks better than now. Please help!! Thank you.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of enlargement or a turned up nasal tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon