I hate my nose. What do you recommend to improve its shape? (Photos)

I have always been self conscious of my nose. I feel like it over extends beyond where it should and the tip is uneven. I also hate the shape of my nostrils. I like the bridge and general shape. What do you recommend to improve its appearance and how invasive would the procedure be? Thank you!

Rhinoplasty

It appears that you  dislike the projection of your nose. As the tip is brought closer to the face the bridge will appear higher so that really the entire nose must be brought into proper proportion. To get more predictable results I would recommend an open approach which leaves an inconspicuous scar at the lower end of the columella. To find plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons who are dedicated and experienced in rhinoplasty visit the Rhinoplasty Society website. There are several well qualified specialists in the Bay Area

Nasal improvement through rhinoplasty

There are a number of subtle refinements that could be done with your nose.  You may want to discuss your case with prospective surgeons and see who has an aesthetic eye that matches your sensibilities, and the experience to implement them.  

Brent Moelleken, MD

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty

Scarless Rhinoplasty is absolutely the answer.   This is the approach all celebrities, models and actresses take because there is no external cuts or scarring.  The goal is to refine the nose, not drastically change the nose.  By doing subtle refinements we are able to finesse the sculpt the nose to match your face perfectly.  By doing this via a scarless (closed) approach, there are no external cuts ever on your nose.  This prevents the dreaded complication of external scarring at the base of the nose, which even if rare, if it occurs, is devastating.  Through a scarless approach you can accomplish almost everything needed to be done to the nose with no scarring, less healing time, less bruising, and less swelling.   

Do consult a board certified plastic surgeon who performscarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his/her surgical practice and do hundreds of these procedures a year.  

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so that they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best recommendations. The key in Rhinoplasty is finding facial harmony. Based on your photographs, you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing along with shaving down excess cartilage or bone from the bridge. The combination of the two should help reduce the projection of your nose and shape/size of the tip. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Improving My Nose

I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website for nasal evaluation. Your tip projection can be decreased and your asymmetrical tip can be adjusted but you mention you do not like the shape of your nostrils which cannot be seen in these pictures. I'm sorry but I cannot clearly answer your questions.

Rhinoplasty - what would make my nose look better?

Hello and thank you for your questions and pictures. 

Communication is the KEY and you have taken the first step. What I do for my patients is have them bring in pictures of noses they like and those they do not like. Both are important! This allows the first step in the communication pathway = allowing me to visualize your concept of what an attractive nose looks like. 

The next step is to have me do a computer imaging of what "I think" based on our communication, you want your nose to look like. I provide different versions of your expressed desires. 

Based on this process, you should have a good idea of what can be done and the vision of what your nose will  look like after surgery. 

The link I provided you below will show you other patients that had similar concerns as you and their before and after pictures. 

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

I hate my nose. What do you recommend to improve its shape?

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish decreasing the projection of the nose, making some minor adjustments to the tip cartilages and  straightening the midportion of the nose which appears to be asymmetric by making all of the incisions on the inside of the nose. A full set of photographs usually required to make a determination about specific surgical techniques. Osteotomies are used to narrow the bridge line, while spreader grafts can be placed  under the concave upper lateral cartilages. For more information and many examples of noses similar to your own, please see the link below to our before and after closed rhinoplasty photo gallery

Thank you for your photographs and question.  You have very thin nasal skin with highly visible contour features from your nasal cartilage and bone.  Softening of your nose and making it more feminine will better balance with the rest of your face and enhance your appearance.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty to review options and review photographs of other patients.  Good luck and enjoy your results,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty recommendations

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hi thanks to share your concern.you can undergo a closed rhinoplasty which will be less invasive.there will not be a visible scar noted.a tip refinement procedure with addressing the nasal dorsum also   can improve your appearance with other facial features.however  do discuss all your concern  in detail as well the outcome with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon and then get it done .ALWAYS HAVE A REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS WITH THE SURGICAL OUTCOME.