Three months post Gynecomastia surgery. Still puffy in the nipple area. Is this normal? (photos)

I had a glandular excision/lipo, three months ago. Followed instructions provided at every stage in the process. The results seemed to be decent, at first, but the distortion and puffiness is back--though not as bad, as before. My main issue is that if I wear a shirt without a tank, underneath, the puffiness creates the appearance of tiny breasts. Am I being overzealous in thinking that this should not be happening at this stage in the game? Or am I expecting better results with time?

If the puffiness is static it could represent fluid collection. Changes in the size with cold temperature can be indicative of residual tissue and recurrence. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Areola Still Puffy Three Months Post Gynecomastia

It may take up to one year to see your final results. So, you must be patient. Nor is not uncommon for each breast heal at a different pace from one another. It is very possible that the puffiness you describe is #swelling. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Also, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Timing of final result in gynecomastia surgery

It takes 6 months to see the final result, but the puffiness may be the result of eating salty food which causes swelling, or it may have some fluid collected under the nipple which may have hardened.  Check with your physician and have patience.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery

It is still quite early in your postoperative course to be overly concerned. It usually takes at least 6 months for all of the swelling after surgery to resolve. However, it is not uncommon to need minor touchup procedure after this operation. Try to be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Wait...

3 months is still on early side to determine what final result will be. I'd wait it out another threee months and express your concerns with your doctor.  Generally, things tend to improve from 3 months to 6 months.

Tim Neavin, MD