When can I start practicing hot yoga after gynecomastia surgery? (photos)

I used to practice hot yoga for 3 years. Recently I had gynecomastia surgery. I just wanted to know when is it safe to resume hot yoga (100 degrees F)? Or should I opt for non heated yoga classes? I usually practice without a t-shirt, but after the surgery is it advisable to wear a compression tank to keep the wound away from heat and keep the skin compressed against the chest? If so, for how long?

Use of A Compression Garment & Resuming Yoga After Gynecomastia Surgery

We require our #patients to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

However, each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. Your board-certified surgeon will recommend the use of the garment, or not, depending on your individual case and surgical procedure. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing.

Hot Yoga After Gynecomastia Surgery

I typically advise patients to avoid any strenuous activity for at least 4, if not 6 weeks. So I would say to be safe, I would wait until six weeks before doing yoga. It also might be helpful to keep a compressive shirt in place when you first start out. I do not think the temperature of the room should have any affect on your surgical outcome at 6 weeks after surgery. 

Bottom line, always best to discuss these concerns with the plastic surgeon who did your procedure and ask what he or she would advise.

Best of luck to you!

When can I start practicing hot yoga after gynecomastia surgery?

Good Morning,

Although always best to review with your surgeon, generally I advise my patients to start back slowly to physical activity at 4-6 weeks. You may want to start with regular yoga first as the heat can cause some increased swelling as you continue to heal.  Also it is advisable to be aware of how much tension you are putting on the healing scar with stretching in order to minimize its appearance.  Best of luck!

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast reduction

This is the type of question that you should ask your plastic surgeon because only he knows the extent of surgery and your restrictions