Gyno Surgery did not reduce size of areola. Is this normal?

I had gyno surgery conducted about 6 months ago. My chest as a whole does look better, but my areola did not decrease in size. I I was under the impression that your areola alway decreases in size after this surgery. While I can now wear many shirts I could not wear before, I am still uncomfortable taking off my shirt in public because of the size of my nipple or areola to be quite exact. Would I be able to get an areola reduction? Would this leave alot off scarring since I did get gyno surgery?

Reducing the Size of the Male Areola

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults. As each case is different, it is vital that a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in male breast surgery is consulted. The surgeon should determine if the patient is a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.  The excision technique is used on cases of gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. Men who suffer from large areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Glad hear you are happy with your surgical results. You can decrease the size of your areola with surgery. The best way to determine the right options for you is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon they can guide you in the process and options in helping you achieve you desired results. Best of luck.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Unless you had a specific conversation with your surgeon about areola reduction then I would not expect that to be done as part of a routine gynecomastia correction. There are options for reducing the areola but the exact technique and scarring involved really depends on your particular anatomy. Without examining you it's difficult to offer advice so I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon about this. Best of luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC