Why is it so expensive to suture my nose tip? 7,000-10,000? Really? (Photo)

I have seen other nose surgery estimates costs that are so much less and there bifid tip was much more prominent then mine and they also needed even more surgery on there bridge as well but there estimate was only around 3,000$!!! My nose tip indent is so small i can not imagine it would even need much sutering at all... Not even close to as much as these other nose estimates i have seen. I honestly guessed that mine would only be around 3000-4000$

Yeah, it's because, and sorry to be trite, the operation is waaaaay more complicated than it sometimes seems.

It's not possible to just suture the nose tip to correct what you see. You would need a full rhinoplasty, involving very complicated work on the tip of your nose. In fact, it's work so complicated that most plastic surgeons cannot accomplish it with expertise.

It's just that you don't have training in this area. If you were to follow me around for six months, seeing what goes on during various rhinoplasties, in detail, you'd have a better feel for why it can be soooooo hard to make what seems like just a tiny change!

I'd recommend reading the section in my "Web reference" link on how to find an expert plastic surgeon. You have a very difficult nose to approach surgically, and you need to take care to stay out of trouble.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thanks for your question.

Please keep in mind that this is your face and nose. It would cost a great deal more to correct a surgery that was not done well. I would highly recommend you focus on quality and not the cost. 

This is an artistic, difficult and precise procedure that needs a surgeon who is truly passionate about the field. It needs a great deal of expertise, extensive training, knowledge of anatomy, artistry and commitment to best possible result.

I would highly recommend visiting a few plastic surgeons who specialize in this exacting and artistic procedure. In our office we provide patients with a personalized, and individualized  consultation to address these similar issues.

For more information and many before and after examples please see the link below.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Triple Certified Plastic Surgeon

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and information.  The basis of your analysis is somewhat incorrect because what may seem to you to be not such a big deal may actually be very meticulous and difficult work.  Secondly, it is not known where and by whom you obtained this information, but $3,000 for a rhinoplasty is unreasonably low by all standards and in any part of the country.  You have to compare charges of experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in the same geographic area with each other.  However, as for your case, correcting the bifid tip you have demonstrated in your photo is not a matter of just placing sutures.  There are a whole range of tip modification maneuvers that have to be carried out in order to correct your problem.  Hope you have read Dr. Mayer's analogy, very much to the point!

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty cost?

There are many variables that contribute to surgical fees: the extent of the procedure, geographic location of the surgical practice, the credentials and level of training of the surgeon, his or her expertise and reputation, the fee for the anesthesia provider, and facility charge (the facility should be accredited by a national accrediting organization like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)). It is important to compare “apples to apples”. You should find the most qualified individual to perform a surgical procedure, not the least expensive. Your health and safety depend on it.

If your selection of a surgeon is determined primarily by high or low fees, ultimately, you may be disappointed with your choice. Shopping for bargains should be saved for sandals and t-shirts not procedures that require scientific knowledge, training, judgment, artistry and expertise.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic  Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cost of rhinoplasty

The fees you are expecting are very low for a rhinoplasty by an experienced plastic surgeon. Rhinoplasty is a true work of art and requires many years and many procedures for a surgeon to do with precision and accuracy. Can you imaging how you'd feel if you had a truly poor result because you chose a surgeon who was inexpensive but proved to be poorly trained or just inexperienced? And keep in mind that revisions are more complex and much more costly. I would say that of all the procedures I do, rhinoplasty is the one that patients worry most about, even more than facelifts. My advice is to get at least 3 consultations with highly recommended plastic surgeons who can show you a very large number of before and after pictures of their work. Computer imaging the possibilities can be fun but seeing the surgeons work speaks volumes. Ask about your safety too. Will the procedure be done in an accredited surgery center by a board certified anesthesiologist? That alone would typically run $2000.00+. In Dallas there are many excellent surgeons. Prices do vary with experience and reputation (and regionally) but I believe you could have a very good result done safely in this area starting in the $6000.00 range for a tip rhinoplasty, if you were a candidate for that alone. You would expect to see higher fees for more extensive procedures that included the nasal bones or the use of cartilage grafts.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Cost of rhinoplasty Surgery

Without knowing exactly what will be done It is difficult to comment on the estimate for your surgery. While we are all concerned about cost, the fees vary depending on what is necessary and the experience of your surgeon. The most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the best but be careful because a revision of poor work will cost a lot more.

Rhinoplasty cost-why so much?

Iknow just how u feel! I say the same thing when a Plummer comes to my house. If he "fixes a small leak but later the house floods" then I would know why one should shop quality not price. Often Morris required than a tip alone since the rest of the nose has to be balanced. I charge more as do other very experienced rhinoplasty surgeons because I have more than35 years experience doing thousands of noses and half of those are revisions needed because the primary surgery turned out poorly. Shop quality not price--unless u don't mind "a flooded house".

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cost varies based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  My best advice is to not choose your surgeon based on price alone.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cost of a Rhinoplasty to reduce the bifid and bulbous tip

Rhinoplasty  is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so this is just not a simple and easy procedure.  In addition, most patients require a full rhinoplasty to make sure all the components of the nose balance with the new tip, since the nose is a 3-dimensional structure. To reduce the bulbous tip does frequently require suture techniques a conservative cartilage removal and occasional cartilage graft when needed.  The cost of a rhinoplasty procedure is directly proportional to the amount of time it takes to perform the procedure in a formal operating room, time monitored by a physician anesthesiologist under general anesthesia, and the surgeon's professional fees for performing the surgery in addition to all of the post operative follow-up appointments for the first year.  For more information about bulbous tip reduction,  diagrams, our current price list and many before and after examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty Cost and Time

The total cost of a rhinoplasty takes many factors into account. In addition to the surgeon fee, there are significant costs for both the operating room and for anesthesia. In general, fees are based on the amount of time that will be required in the operating room. It is important to understand, however, that even though an "indent" in the tip may seem small, creating a beautiful nose in a safe, successful and long lasting manner takes time. Even the smallest defect requires precise surgical techniques and a healthy respect for nasal support and function. Rhinoplasty surgery is art. As a result, I always tell my patients that the surgery will take as long as it needs to, I am not in a rush, and we will not leave the operating room until I am completely happy.

Robert Morin, MD, FACS