Embrace silicone therapy or Scar away silicone sheets after breast augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation surgery performed 2 weeks ago today. My doctor recommend silicone gel or sheets for the scars. I bought Scar Away silicone sheets but I recently discovered Embrace scar therapy sheets online. The only information I can really find about the Embrace product is on their website so I'm not 100% sure I can trust it. I haven't found any customer reviews either. It's significantly more expensive as well. Which one is more effective? Please help!

Scar treatment after breast augmentation?

It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids.  I have been using Embrace for s while now, with excellent results with scarring. The patients are very pleased with this treatment. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Scars after cosmetic surgery

Most silicone scar sheeting are similar. The key is to uses it every day. Also helpful is massaging your scars daily with a good moisturizer. Seek advice about scars from your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Silicone scar treatments

Thanks for your query and congrats on your augmentation. 

You should first ask your surgeon if he/she has any experience with the Embrace brand. More expensive does not always mean better. There are different qualities of silicone products with different silicone make-up. Every surgeon is different. In my practice, we use a liquid silicone product with Vit E and a topical steroid- Scar Guard.  
Be leary of expensive products with little or no reviews. 

Best of luck. 

Dr T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Scar remedies

Most of the time, I do not specifically recommend the topical agents or silicone sheeting unless my patients have issues with their scars. Each surgeon is different best to ask yours what he prefers.

Embrace silicone therapy or Silicone sheets after breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Anything silicone based can help with the scars. There are different percentages of silicone in different products. The more silicone in the product, the better. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Embrace Scar Therapy

We have been using Embrace Scar Therapy in our practice and have found it has given good, consistent results.  Keep in mind that scar treatments take time to work.  It will take several months for the scars to fully mature, but the Embrace treatment should help with a favorable visual result.

Camille Cash, MD

Embrace Active Scar Defense

Embrace Active Scar Defense is a great scar treatment to help diminish the appearance of scars. It is preferred by many plastic surgeons because it has the most clinical evidence supporting its effectiveness compared to other passive scar treatments, such as silicone sheets that are simply placed on top of the scar. The Embrace Active Scar Defense has been scientifically calibrated to offload the tension on the incision appropriately. Incidentally, it is also made of silicone so you get the added benefits of a silicone dressing, although that is not its main purpose. While other options may be cheaper, it is important to consider that you are protecting your investment in your body. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss how Embrace scar therapy can be beneficial to you. Good luck in your recovery and congratulations on your new body makeover!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Great experience in 2 years

Hello CCCR. I have used Embrace in the office for over 2 years and I have been very happy to see excellent outcome. My patients are also very happy with improved scarring. You want to start 14 to 21 days after surgery during the "remodeling" phase of surgery healing. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Scar treatment

Your Plastic Surgeon is the best one to advise you about this. They will be able to recommend a preferred treatment/product for you.

All the best 

Very doubtful benefits of any silicone scar treatment after breast augmentation.

Silicone sheeting may protect the incision from trauma if you are unable to do so. Other than that it has no particular benefit. I doubt there's any difference between the two products you mention.