Rhinoplasty stitches red/inflamed after picking at blood clots (Photo)

I had really bit blood clots in my nostrils, and I know it was ridiculously silly of me to pick at them but I couldn't stop myself. It was done very lightly and I made sure my hands were sanitised though. I have dissolvable stitches in, and they've gone very red/inflamed today. It's only day 5 so it might just be paranoia but it's the worst they've looked so far. I'm really worried I might have infected the incision... Is it worth seeing my surgeon about this? Or do they look normal? Thanks in advance.

Rhinoplasty stitches red/inflamed after picking at blood clots

Greetings

Thank you for your question, 

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Greetings

Thank you for your question, 

Inflammed rhinoplasty stitches

Your stitches should be coming out in a day or 2 and that alone should help with the redness of the skin. You also need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.
Thank you.

Inflammed rhinoplasty stitches

Thank you.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

You are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. Certainly express your concerns to your surgeon, and follow his/her treatment recommendations to ensure the best result.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty Recovery

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Swelling and bruising is common, but should subside in a few weeks time. It is important that you continue to keep your head elevated and avoid any activity (including picking) that could put pressure on your face or cause damage to your nose. I suggest that you contact your board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon