Smoking before Rhinoplasty?

I'm quitting smoking FOR GOOD. Is quitting 6 weeks before a open rhinoplasty enough time? I'm using this opportunity to quit.

Quitting smoking before rhinoplasty

Good for you for having the stamina to quit smoking! Yes, 6 weeks is adequate time before surgery and I usually recommend at least 1 month before surgery for best results.

Smoking and surgery, some advices:

Thanks for the question. I usually recommend to avoid smoking at least 1 month before the procedure and keep without smoking for 2 months after the procedure to avoid unnecessary risks. Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Smoking before rhinoplasty.

Hello.  You should be aware that a significant smoking history will permanently damage blood vessels, which means a patient will have higher risk of healing complications compared to someone who has never smoked.  The longer you've smoked, the greater the damage.  Having said that, former smokers can safely undergo cosmetic surgeries like rhinoplasty.  I think 6 weeks is probably ok, but the longer you can wait before surgery, the less likely you'll have complications.  In general, I recommend 2 months, but still counsel patients they have a higher risk of postoperative wound problems.  If you're getting a closed rhinoplasty, this may be a lower risk since there's no external incision.  Regardless, that's great news that you've quit for good!  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking before rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on making a huge advancement in your healthy lifestyle! I typically tell patients to stop smoking at least three weeks before surgery. 6 weeks will be more than enough time before surgery. Please remember: nicotine is the root cause of the decreased blood supply in that it causes constriction of the capillaries and small blood vessels that feed the skin oxygen. Nicotine patches, gum, etc; cannot be used as an alternative to smoking. Best of luck to you in your procedure and recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

Smoking before a rhinoplasty

It is best to quit approximately one month before  and one month after a rhinoplasty procedure. Smokers have a higher incidence of necrosis and infection. Closed rhinoplasty would avoid the external incision across the columella. For many examples, please see  the link below  to our closed rhinoplasty photo gallery

SMOKING BEFORE RHINOPLASTY

Dear austinou88, Congratulations for making the determination to quit smoking not only for your surgery but for good! Quitting smoking six weeks prior to your surgery will allow you adequate time to reduce the risk factors that are caused from smoking. Keep in mind that using products like "Nicorette" or any other nicotine/tobacco products will compromise healing!  So cold turkey is your best bet. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Smoking before rhinoplasty...

Congratulations on your goal to becoming healthier through smoking cessation!  I generally say that 2 weeks before is the minimum time needed to minimize healing complications following surgery.  Certainly, the longer the better though.  Remember, any nicotine or tobacco products (not just inhaled) will compromise healing.  Good luck as you move forward!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, this should be plenty of time to quit smoking before your rhinoplasty.

Firstly, congratulations on your achievement on quitting smoking! Plastic surgery can be a great opportunity to finally push yourself to kick the habit for good. It’s generally recommended that you stop smoking at least four weeks before your surgery and for four weeks after your surgery. Of course, if you’re planning to quit for good, this is even better, as smoking can interfere with your recovery process and even the quality of your results. Best of luck to you!

Smoking cessation before Rhinoplasty

Tobacco smoke and nicotine exposure are cause for some of the worst healing problems after surgery. Smoking is a risk factor for just about every medical problem: wound healing, problems with anesthesia, heart attack, stroke, infection and cancer to name a few. 
An upcoming surgery is a fantastic opportunity to quit smoking for good. Stop as soon as possible to reap the benefits. Over time, you can even reverse some of the risk factors associated with the tobacco you already smoked.
It's generally recommended to quit 6-8 weeks prior to surgery to improve your surgery/anesthesia risk. There are programs to help. Ask your doctor. And a recent 2016 study showed going cold turkey may be the best method. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon