Aquaphor where incision was? (Photo)

Hi. I am over two weeks post op rhinoplasty. Where my stitches were is mainly healed looking but it is totally numb and very stiff. There is also a lot of dry skin peeling around it. I have been putting aquaphor on the area and also inside my nostrils a bit which I thought might be helpful for healing. Should I not do this? Thank you!

Aquaphor on incisions

At two weeks you are very early in the healing process, and it is normal for the nose to be stiff and numb.  Aquaphor is probably ok, just check with your surgeon.

Aquaphor where incision was?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. What you are experiancing now is normal. 

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Incision care after Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. Everything you are describing is very normal. I recommend my patients use aquaphore as it is hydrating and should not interfere with healing. You are in the right tract! Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. A great option for healing is to use washcloths that have been soaked in ice water. These can then be folded into an inverted 'V' configuration and fit right into the area that needs the ice pack. They can be easily draped over the nose and should be ideally changed every ten minutes for maximum results. I suggest that you review your post operative care guidelines with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon