Is it OK to exercise with a small seroma? (Photo)

I developed a seroma (90cc) 2 weeks after my TT 8/9/16 About 20cc was taken out on my last of 3 aspirations. Is it ok to resume exercising? If not, how long should I wait and what type of exercise would be acceptable to start with?

Fluid collection

As long as you are draining fluid and have a fluid collection, I would not resume exercise.  I believe the increase in exertion could perpetuate the fluid collection. After your fluid collection is resolved, then you can probably return.  Ask your plastic surgeon concerning this.

Too much too soon

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Is it OK to exercise with a small seroma?

In most cases, it is best to wait until the seroma is resolved. You should check with your surgeon about this.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.I would recommend you consult with your surgeon seeing as they are the person who knows your anatomy, medical history and exactly what they performed during your operation. Every patient recovers differently and at different speeds but I tell my patients to wait, at minimum, six weeks before easing back into their regular fitness routine. However, realize that your body may require some time to return to prior strength. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Exercise with a Seroma

Congratulations on your tummy tuck!  If a patient of mine develops a seroma, I typically do not want them exercising, as this contributes to more tissue swelling and "shear" of the tissue which would stop it from healing.  However, this question is best asked to your own surgeon, who knows you and your procedure best.

-Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon