18 year old Tummy tuck W/ Lipo? (photos)

Hello. I'm 18 years old I work out, eat right, and try so hard to lose the weight around my mid section. My skin has always been loose, and my belly button always seemed almost 'collapsed' in. Ive done everything I could from weight training, to binding, to change my waist. I'm 5'5, and about 180 pounds. My body overall is pretty toned, except for my stomach. I don't plan on having children for at least 7 years from now.(ive even saved 10,000 dollars for this)

Carefully consider if a tummy tuck now is right for you

It looks like you’d probably benefit from a tummy tuck to remove the loose skin and excess fat you have in your mid-section. However, you should carefully consider whether having a tummy tuck now before you have children is a prudent choice for you. As you know, the results from your surgery will be negatively affected with pregnancy. 

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos you would benefit from removing the extra skin in the form of a tummy tuck. Sometimes Lipo will tighten some of the skin but because you have this problem in the first place I don't think your skin has good tone in that area so that it would bounce back to a tight level after Lipo alone.   The question is are you willing to trade the scar that comes with a tummy tuck for the improved form?  Also you most likely will need another tummy tuck down the line if you have kids.  If you are ok with the scar then I think a tummy tuck might be the best operation. Best to speak to a board certified plastic surgeon in person. All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

18 year old Tummy tuck W/ Lipo

I think your plan for a tummy tuck and liposuction is a good choice. If you can lose some weight before the procedure the degree of improvement from the tummy tuck will be greater.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck at 18 ?

Thanks for your question and for the photos. From your pictures you appear to have enough skin laxity for a tummy tuck, but an in person pinch test would be needed to be sure.Timing and scars need to be strongly considered. The scar is forever which at 18 is a long time. Child bearing is a game changer and when you have kids you may need another tummy tuck.  Liposuction will depend on your skin tone in the areas you are considering. Good skin tone and the skin will shrink up. poor skin tone and the skin will become looser. An in person exam can help your PS to guide you.In my own practice when I see patient your age for tummy tuck it is usually after massive weight loss. The trade off of the scars is usually very much worth it in making these patients feel normal again. It would have to be worth it to you as well.Final thoughts. Tummy tuck and liposuction streamlines people, but they are not weight loss tools. A tummy tuck can make you more streamlined at your height and weight  but not make you rail thin.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Too Young For a Tummy Tuck?

Great Question! I would not recommend a tummy tuck right now- wait and have all of your children down the road and then have your tummy tuck. If you have a tummy tuck before children you will ruin anything that your tummy tuck has repaired- causing you to get another tummy tuck. I would suggest liposuction at your age- live your life and have your babies then think about a tummy tuck. I do believe you would benefit greatly from liposuction to the abdomen. Good Luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

18 yr old wants tummy tuck

I would not recommend a tummy tuck at this young age especially if you have never had children. Although an in-person exam would be required to see if you have congenital rectus diastasis. At your age, with usually excellent skin elasticity, I think liposuction(with or wihtout laser) of your abdomen, will give you excellent results and make you happy. You can then think about getting  a full tummy tuck after childbearing is completed. Please see atleast a couple of board certified plastic surgeons for opinions in your area. Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Your stomach

The problem you have is extra fat. Your BMI is over 30. You are not a candidate for a tummy tuck -- if anything other than diet and exercise, you could use liposuction of your abdomen to get rid of the excess fat. At your age, the skin should shrink down -- I usually save tummy tucks for people who have had kids or lost a lot of weight and have a lot of excess skin. If  your skin is in excess, perhaps a small removal would be needed. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck are a good option

Thanks for your question. It appears from your picture that you have both fatty deposits in your abdomen as well as loose skin. I think that liposuction and a tummy tuck would help you get the shape you want. Liposuction will remove the fat cells and improve your shape. However without a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin, your abdominal skin will be loose.

These procedures will improve your shape. Liposuction and tummy tucks are not weight loss procedures, but shaping procedures. They go hand in hand with good eating habits and exercising and are not a replacement for them.

While a tummy tuck will not interfere with future pregnancies, you may need to repeat the procedure after having children.

Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon that can show you pictures of their patients' tummy tucks. Most importantly feel comfortable with your surgeon. Good luck with your Journey

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   The best advice for you will come from an in-person consultation.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  However, we would need to discuss this further after a detailed examination.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.Firstly, I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a full body examination and give you the best recommendations based off of their examination. From the photos you have posted, I feel you would be a good candidate for a Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty. This procedure is the combination of liposuction and a traditional tummy tuck. During a tummy tuck I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist then I cut out the excess skin to achieve overall, a smaller waist with a nice flat abdomen and a thin scar hidden below the bikini line. With the use of topical scar creams or lasers, this can further diminish the scar line to make it less visible. Then the use of liposuction will help remove any excess fat deposits along with creating a nice, smooth silhouette. I hope this helps!
Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon