How long to wait after giving birth to have plastic surgery?

I am in the process of researching & learning everything to have plastic surgery. I want to have a tummy tuck, lipo & bbl with fat transfer. I'm going to DR to have my procedure done but I'm also trying to have a baby before. If so I would need a c-section. How long do I have to wait after giving birth to have plastic surgery?

Post-pregnancy plastic surgery

There are different factors that determine the appropriate time for having a tummy tuck and other procedures after giving birth.

In order to do such a procedure, I would advise you to wait until your weight is stabilized, until you have stopped breast feeding and this time must not be less than 8 months.

Then you can communicate a board certified plastic surgeon and have the successful result that you desire.

Plastic surgery after pregnancy

Hi there Babigirl,I would recommend you wait at least 6 months after you have finished breast feeding before considering breast or abdominal surgery.Your body will be undergoing many changes during that period and it is important that things have stabilised before surgery.The other important issue to consider is your recovery period. If you do have surgery as early as 6 months after birth you will need assistance with looking after your new baby for up to a month.That may be a reason to defer surgery even longerBest wishesRichard

Waiting after giving birth

In general, it is best to wait at least 10-12 months before having an abdominoplasty after giving birth. This is for two reasons: first, the pregnant uterus doesn't return to normal size for some time, and second, the mother should not be 'removed' from her child for a recovery period in any way during the first six months, if possible.The most important thing is to seek a surgeon with at least 15 years of experience with patients in your situation. There are many such plastic surgeons available. Hope this helps.
Leland Deane MD FACSNew York, Garden City , Babylon

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Surgery abroad after pregnancy

Thank you for your question.I would recommend waiting at least 6 months after having a baby for your body and hormones to get back to your pre-pregnancy state and to allow time for your C-section incision to fully heal. In regards to travelling abroad for your surgery, I would highly recommend that you have your surgery done in the US by a board certified plastic surgeon. This will reduce your chance of complications and health risks. If you go to a doctor in a developing country such as the Dominican Republic, the quality of care and medical standards are not the same as the US. If you develop some type of complication after surgery you may not be able to travel all the way back to be examined by your original plastic surgeon. If cost is the driving factor, I would ask during the consultations in your area about payment plans. Most practices offer these through companies like Care Credit. These are just some things to think about when making your decision. Best of luck.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   I recommend waiting at least 6 months from the time of your delivery.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck after Pregnancy

Thank you for your question. It is best to wait at least 12 months after child birth before having the procedures you are interested in. This will not only allow you time to recover after having the baby but also give you a chance to lose as much of the weight you might gain during pregnancy. This will help give you a better result, which should be longer lasting. You should also think about whether you want to have more children. If so, you may want to delay the abdominoplasty until you have completed your family planning. Good luck to you.

Post partum plastic surgery

thank you for your question especially for body contouring procedures she will need to wait at least 6 months to 12 months before considering any type will plastic surgery. You also want to make sure that there are no plans to have more children.

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

In general it is best to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy before considering surgery. Your body should be completely recovered from pregnancy and your weight should be stable. Discuss this with your surgeon and follow their advice.

Iit is a good idea to wait 6 to 12 months after child birth before undergoing a tummy tuck, liposuction and fat transfer procedure.  Also a first year with a small baby is very challenging.    Give yourself some time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. It is best to wait 12 months so that your body and all the hormones can get back to normal again. Also a first year with a small baby is very challenging, give yourself some time :-)Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD