Travel after brachioplasty.

I'm having a brachioplasty tomorrow (without liposuction), and just found out that I need to attend an overseas conference 6 days post-op. I will be travelling with others, and have no required activity while there other than to sit and listen. Is this a bad idea?

Arm Lift/ Brachioplasty/Skin Tightening/ Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Travel after Brachioplasty

Traveling short distance might be fine but traveling abroad is definitely not a good idea.  There are too many variables that you cannot control.  Would move trip or move surgery.  

Travel after brachioplasty.

It is a bad idea, either cancel surgery or the trip. You need at least 3 weeks recovery to go for a short trip.

Mahmood Kara, MD

Travel after brachioplasty.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with arm lifting surgery; in my practice, I would not advise patients to travel overseas six days after this type of surgery. Best wishes.

Travel after surgery

Thanks for your question.  I think six days is too early to consider traveling out of the country.  While the recovery from an arm-lift can vary considerably depending on the amount of tissue removed and the technique used, I would still recommend waiting at least 3 or 4 weeks to travel out of the country.  At 6 days there is generally still quite a bit of swelling.  Most importantly, I would suggest discussing this with your surgeon who is in the best position to give you advice as to when you will be safe to travel.  Good luck.

Nothing substitutes for common sense and a thoughtful, conservative approach to patient care. 6 days is still very early in post operative recovery, and I would not permit my patient to travel out of the country.  There may be concerns with swelling, the incision, or even infection, and the management of even the simplest problem may prove quite difficult in a foreign country.  Furthermore, surgery is a risk for the development of clots in your legs, and prolonged air travel is also a risk for DVT.  Supervised post operative care plays an essential role in optimizing the outcome of surgery, both in terms of safety and the quality and aesthetics of the result.  I would encourage you to reconsider your plans, and at the very least, have a discussion with your surgeon.     

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after arm lift?

Thanks for your question. Traveling after only 6 days seems too early to me. Arm lift surgery can have a speedy recovery, depending on the steps of the procedure and which technique is done, so I would check with your PS to be sure. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD