Would I have better results to build muscle before or after an arm lift? (Photo)

Will it be better to build muscle in your arms before or after an arm lift, my thinking is if you build the muscle after the arm lift the skin would be a bit tighter in the long run than if you build muscle before the armlift. I am 60yrs old and have a lot of loose skin on my arms from large weight loss

Arm lift

Thank you for you question and pictures. It appears that you are a great candidate for the arm lift,you do not have to build muscle before surgery but it would help. Please consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Would I have better results to build muscle before or after an arm lift?

Yes, it would be better to build muscle after the arm lift. Although if the skin is very tight, the tension of the muscle on the skin can make the scar appear wider and thicker. The latest information is that you should get fractional CO2 +/- a vascular laser for redness, included in your surgery price and package. 

Mahmood Kara, MD

Arm lift

I think you are an excellent candidate for an arm lift. I do not make my patients lift weights prior to an arm lift but it certainly will help.  it is best to see a board certified plastic surgeon when doing this surgery as we make the best scars.    Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Arm lift after weight loss

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.
  • You can begin before surgery -
  • The inactivity of surgery will make the muscles atrophy but they will be easier to build up after surgery if you had begun to work on them before. 
  • More muscle increases circulation and addd volume.
  • The weights can be between 3 - 5 pounds, with 30 repetitions, done every other day.
  • If you haven 't worked out before, one session with a physical therapist will help you to do weights safely.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Muscle after arm lift

Looking at your photos you have a fair amount of skin. You would benefit removing this skin. It does not matter at this stage if you build muscle before or after because you have a lot of extra skin .

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Timing of arm lift surgery

Congratulations on your weight loss!  The upper arms are often an area that needs to be addressed after massive weight loss.  The skin has a tendency to be very thin and damaged from the excess weight and does not tighten after the weight is gone.  The only way to gain improvement is with a full brachioplasty.  I don't think that the timing of muscle building within your arm will affect your result.  If you are ready to proceed with surgery, I would encourage you to make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person examination. Go ahead and proceed with surgery.  You can definitely work out after surgery to try to improve your muscle tone.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon