Will a dorsal hump caused by an injury go away? (photos)

Hello everybody im a 21 year old male , and i noticed about 1 week ago that one side of my nose has dorsal hump that extends to the front of the nose. I was in a minor car accident about 1 month and 2 weeks ago and i injured the top bony part of my nose. Swelling went down after 1 week and i thought everything was fine. My nose looks kind of crooked and i can see the bump when i take a side picture. Can it resolve on its own? Is it to ealry to tell and should i give it some time?

Nasal fracture, dorsal hump,

rhouston713, the simple answer is no.  6 weeks after a nasal injury the soft tissue swelling has resolved and the hump is the result of damage to the nasal dorsum that can result in bony callus formation or the separation of the septal cartilage from the bony dorsum creating a step-off and the appearance of a hump.  I would not consider the use of steroids in an attempt to reduce the bony callus or hump because the skin of the nasal dorsum is very thin and could become atrophic exacerbating the problem.  I would allow at least 3 months since the injury before any interventions is executed.  Depending on whether or not the bony portion of the nose has remained straight  osteotomies, fracturing the nasal bones, may or may not be necessary to resolve the problems resulting from your nasal fracture.  If your nose has remained straight  then  rasping, sanding off the callus may be possible.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It really depends; you are still healing after the trauma and if the hump is due to swelling then it should resolve on its own over time. However, if the nasal bones have been fractured then this will be permanent and need surgery to correct it. A rhinoplasty would help straighten out your nose and the dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. I would give it another month and see how you are healing, if the hump still remains then I would recommend you scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to perform a nasal examination. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Will a dorsal hump caused by an injury go away?

Traumatic changes to the nose, including deviation- most likely will not resolve on their own. Best to see a qualified Board Certified PS with extensive experience in Rhinoplasty for an in depth evaluation.

Trauma to the nose causing a dorsal hump

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced or a nondisplaced nasal fracture and make the dorsal hump  more prominent. Probably best to wait a few weeks to see if it goes down on its own, but after 2 to 3 months it has not, the  hump will be permanent. A rhinoplasty is required to shave down the dorsal hump and osteotomies  are required to narrow the bridge line, and close the open roof created from the hump removal. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

If the dorsal hump is just due to soft tissue swelling it will resolve on its own. However, if your nasal bones have been fractured and moved, the hump and crooked appearance will remain. I would wait another 6 weeks. If the situation has not resolved, seek an experienced nasal surgeon. This can be easily corrected.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

You might have a had a small hematoma, or blood collection, due to the trauma; or alternatively, have had a nasal fracture. Although most of these self-resorb with time, a dorsal hump may remain due to new bone formation after a fracture or due to bone displacement. I would recommend just observation for the next 3-4 months, if it remains, you can see a plastic surgeon for surgical options to remove the hump. Good Luck!

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon