Is it possible to make the tip of my nose smaller from the front and the side? (photos)

I am planning on getting a rhinoplasty, but I want to know if it is possible to make my nose shorter from the side, as well as thinner from the front. Also from the front, it looks like it is hanging downwards. can this be fixed? What would you recommend?

You've identified your nose's issues well.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a couple of computer morphs of your nose, and animations of the morphs, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I brought the tip of your nose back closer to your face. We call that decreasing the "projection" of the nose. I elevated the tip a small amount, and took down the small bump on the bridge. From the frontal view, I tried to simulate narrowing the tip. These are all changes that can be accomplished in a rhinoplasty.

But don't let anyone tell you this surgery is easy. You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Concerns

Yes, you appear to be an excellent candidate to consider rhinoplasty for nasal disproportion. You could benefit from nasal tip narrowing and refinement in the front, along with deprojection of your tip to "make your nose shorter" from the side or profile. You could also benefit from changes to your nasal bone width and dorsum. Consult with a Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in an open approach rhinoplasty and performs rhinoplasty surgery on a regular basis. Your case is advanced, but if rhinoplasty is performed by a reputable physician with expertise you could expect a natural, attractive result with rhinoplasty to enhance your nasal appearance. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty make the tip of the nose smaller

A Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the bulbous tip, straightening the nose, narrowing the bridge line, shaving down the dorsal hump, and reducing the overall projection of the nose. For many examples and more information, please see the video and the link below

Nasal tip de-projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip de-projection to make the overall size of your nose smaller.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Yes the changes that you want can easily be performed. Remember that changes to your nose need to blend with each other. Seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can perform the surgery either with an open or closed technique.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decreasing Size of nasal tip

Good question.  It is very possible to make the changes you desire. What makes your nose look like it's hanging is the fullness of the nasal tip. The angle between the lip and tip falls into a normal range. To achieve your desired result the tip can be made smaller and more refined and the bony portion narrowed and height reduced. Seek a consult with an experienced reputable rhinoplasty surgeon.  Wishing you a fantastic result!

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty goals

Thank you for your question and photos. A rhinoplasty in expert hands can shorten your nose and refine its dorsum and tip. A consultation with a well-trained plastic surgeon will include a discussion of the procedure and postop course. Please note that postoperative swelling will take some weeks to subside. Good Luck! 

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Surgery

Thank you for sending pictures along with your question, it always makes it easier for the best advice.

Based on my assessment, you are a surgical candidate for the Rhinoplasty procedure. 

The length, tip & bridge can all be corrected & improved.

I would recommend smoothing your bridge, and taking down the length with some improvements to the tip.

The Rhinoplasty is such a well tolerated procedure which gives such great results. It helps give facial balance. 

People of all ages are candidates. 

The recovery is approx 7-10 days before feeling confident in a public place ( due to the temporary bruising & swelling along  the placement of the nasal cast). The nasal cast is normally removed at your 1 week follow up appt. Minimal pain, mostly complaints of nasal congestion (which can last a few weeks following surgery). Once the nasal cast is removed you may resume make up & regular skin care regimens. No strenuous activities for the first 1-3 weeks. 

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon