Drainless tummy tuck leaking.

I had a drainless tummy tuck 10 days ago. I just changed my tape yesterday over my scar and today I am leaking fluid in the center of my incision. Is this normal?

Drainless Tummy Tuck Leaking

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Over the years, surgeons have improved procedures and found ways to eliminate the need for #drains commonly used in a #tummy #tuck or #abdominoplasty, and a variety of other operations. I have found that most of my patients do very well with the exception of those have large areas of liposuction or lipo-abdominoplasty.  I may use drains on a case by case basis for these patients. If you go to a plastic #surgeon who uses drains, or if your situation requires drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. The use of tissue #glue is to adhere the abdominal #skin to the #muscle. It is a new option and alternative to sutures in a tummy tuck. 

It's best in this situation to be seen and evaluated by your doctor or their staff to confirm as to whether you have a seroma or an infection. They will also be able to drain the fluid if necessary, and possibly add sutures or tissue glue to reduce the fluid leakage. 

Drainless Tummy Tuck Leaking

There are many ways to perform a tummy tuck operation. Simply not using drains in a conventional tummy tuck is very different from a plastic surgeon who uniquely reduces the abdomen adipose tissue and skin while preserving the lymphatic drainage from the abdominal wall. With all of that said, some fluid leaking from the incision is not an overly concerning thing. Since your post was put up over a month ago, I am sure that by now you have taken up the matter with your plastic surgeon and have addressed any concerns you have. Good question, however.

Dr. C