Drainless Tummy Tuck - Day 8 post op: My sleep has been so off... Could it be the pain meds?

Decided to stop taking pain meds today... I'm starting to Regret it. I need to cough to clear up my throat, and then I get stitches taken out. Does that hurt?? I've stitches in my bb...do y'all have some in the incision too? Walking around well, with little hunching. DH has been amazing thru this process! My sleep has been so off... Could it be the pain meds? I'm sleeping on my bed, with lots of pillows to prop me up, and a pillow under my knees.

Drainless Tummy Tuck

Drainless tummy tuck is an advanced technique for abdominoplasty in select patients who desire less discomfort in the post operative period. The procedure utilizes the bodies existing lymphatic drainage system which obviates the need for drains. Recovery without drains is managed in a similar way to any other procedure. Frequent follow up appointments allow your surgeon to monitor your recovery. The amount of post operative discomfort that you may experience is indidual and should be addressed by your surgeon.

Pain after No Drain Tummy Tuck

You should ask your surgeon what they suggest as they know your particular case best.   Hope this helps and best wishes. 

Recovering after abdominoplasty

It can be hard to get restful sleep after surgery because just mild position changes, which we do all night, can hurt a little and wake you up. You are doing the right thing by elevating your back and knees in bed because this takes pressure off of the muscles which are the most sore. During the day hold a pillow against your tummy when you cough as this should help with the pain. Coughing is good for your lungs after surgery. 
Getting off narcotics as early as possible is in your best interest, but you may find taking one at night may actually still be necessary to help you get a little more sleep. It should never be taken specifically as a sleeping pill, but it may keep the pain from waking you up for longer periods of time. Your surgeon may also recommend an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or a prescription medication like Celebrex instead of the narcotic at this point to help with your pain. You can also ask your surgeon about taking a little Benadryl to help you sleep at night as this works very well, especially is you are a little itchy from your garments or at the incision.
Don't stress the suture removal. You might have a few little pinches, but it shouldn't be anything horrible. It is probably along the same line as tweezing your eyebrows. Compared to what you have been through already, it is really not bad.
Best of luck during your recovery!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Sleep disturbance

Thanks for your inquiry and sleep disturbances is common after major surgery. Factors that influence sleep after surgery include medications, pain, and positioning.  Please discuss with your plastic surgeon if he/she has any recommendations about helping you normalize your sleep.