Should my PS use penrose drain for seroma fluid?

I had drainless TT and have gone thru 7 aspirations, each one less than before. Thought was cleared up but now PS wants to use penrose drain. Is that safe? I am 6 weeks post op

What About Closed Suction?

A penrose drain is an open technique of allowing fluid to drain out of a wound into gauze dressings.  This can be messy and take a long time.  Are you sure this is what is recommended??

You might what to consider two other options.  1.  Going back to the operating room and placing a close suction Jackson Pratt drain to deal with the fluid.  2.   Inserting a Seroma-Cath in the office.  This is basically a 14 gauge IV insertion needle that comes with connectors that will allow it to be connected to the same type of bulb that is used with the Jackson Pratt drain.

Good luck,

Gordon Telepun, MD

Drain options for tummy tuck seroma

When seromas are persistent, some sort of drain is needed. A penrose drain will be a bit messy but allow the seroma to close in from the top down. Sometimes there is a capsule that forms around the seroma which needs to be removed.

Richard Baxter, MD

Penrose drain

It's not something that I typically use, but I also am not your surgeon and don't know your case intimately. Assuming that you trust your surgeon then follow his or her recommendation. If not, get a second in person opinion. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Penrose Drain

I have not used a penrose drain in the last 10 years for anything.  Have a closed suction system placed for recurrent seromas.

Seroma

Why did you have drainless tummy tuck?

Now that you have a seroma you should consider:
1)compression garment
2)no activity
3)serial aspirations
4)culture and appropriate antibiotics
5)JP drain

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Thank you for your question. Yes, a consistent seroma may require a drain insertion. The drain will most likely be fugacious. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD