Nipple weird after Gynecomastia Surgery. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi! I am 6 days post op. I've had gyno surgery with a very reputable doctor on both sides. Only gland excision, no lipo, both sides were the same severity. However, after removing the gauze pads, I've noticed that my left areola looks pretty normal, but the right looks weird, and has stitches in the middle. have I been butchered? What happened here? I've attached pics of both sides. Any explanation would mean a lot, I am freaking out. Thanks!!!

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple weird after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for sharing your photographs and for your questions.  Overall your results look appropriate for only 6 days after surgery.  The bruising will take a couple of weeks to resolve, while the swelling may take a few months.  As far as the stitching, I would recommend speaking to your surgeon about it as without preoperative photographs, it is difficult to make an educated guess.  I know it is difficult, but hang in there and allow your results to fully mature before critically assessing your outcome. 

Gynecomastia Removal Post Op

Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

#gynecomastiaremoval
#malebreastreduction
#gynecomastiaremovalpostop

Everything is fine

Your results based on the photos looks perfectly fine for 6 days after surgery.  Things often don't look as expected after surgery since lay people don't usually see these post-operative results like surgeons do.  I would also dare say that "butchered" is quite strong language to describe something doesn't appear that way on your photos.  My best advice to any patient is that if they have any concerns or questions, the best person to answer that is the operating surgeon, who can also allay any fears or prevent any potential issues that can occur.  Otherwise you look just fine.  Wait 3-6 months to really see more realistic results.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery 6 days later

Take a deep breath--no need to freak out.  What looks "weird" at 6 days can look perfect at 6 months.  Check in with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best of luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Early postoperative results

You should discuss your concerns with the surgeon who did your surgery. Immediate postoperative results are sometimes confusing; it will look better in 3-6 months. However, you need to be well informed about your prognosis and outcome. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and surgery

I think that you need to discuss any issues with your surgeon to determine what was done in the OR.  Best of luck.