Areola/nipple still puffed after gynecomastia surgery? (photos)

I had gynecomastia surgery a little over a month ago, I wore the vest/wrap for 2 1/2 weeks day/night as instructed. Been wearing tight work out shirts since then. Is this just swelling and will flatten out in time? I had lipo and gland removal.

Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Removal Post Op

Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

#gynecomastiaremoval
#malebreastreduction
#gynecomastiaremovalpostop

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery may take several months to resolve.

At one month there would still be swelling after gynecomastia regardless of the type of treatment. I think you'll find this will improve as time passes.

Puffy Nipples After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Justus1,
Thanks for the post and photos. At 1 month you are still early in the healing phase and things can change over the next few months. Refer to the link below for more information on whether this is residual breast tissue, scar tissue, or swelling.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Areola/nipple still puffed after gynecomastia surgery?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Preoperative photographs are useful to assess your appearance change from surgery, but I can see your area of concern.  If the tissue just deep to the nipple is firm and spongy, this may indicate that residual glandular tissue is present.  If the tissue is soft this is likely only swelling.  It is common to still have swelling after surgery and best to allow your results to fully mature before evaluating any residual nipple puffiness.