My JP drain came out two days after an extended tummy tuck. What now?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. The is no need to worry if you do develop a seroma, then you do. If that's the case, you may need to have it drained once or twice. consult your surgeon for follow up.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

JP drain out

Don't worry. Continue to wear your binder faithfully and as snug as you can tolerate it to hold the underside of the abdominal skin and fat to your abdominal wall. If you do develop a seroma, then you do. If that's the case, you may need to have it drained once or twice, but it's easy enough to do by an experienced surgeon and is  usually not a big problem. 

Drains out

You have to go back to your PS office for a revision.   Extended TT can  collect a very significant amount of seromas.   Try to avoid any complication and talk with your PS. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Extended tummy tuck - JP drain is out. Now what?

Thank you for asking about your extended tummy tuck.

• Only your surgeon will be able to tell you -
  • I assume the drain fell out unintentionally.
  • You may be fine or you may need a new drain or may develop a seroma.
  • In situations like this, you need your surgeon to take care of the problem with you -
  • On-line advice can't substitute for personal post-operative care.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your drain issues.  I would first contact your plastic surgeon to let them know what has happened and to obtain wound care instructions for the prior drain site incision.  Other than maintaining your compression garment in place and alerting your physician to any significant, discrete areas of fluid collection there is not much that can be done at this time but to wait and see how your recovery goes.  There will be some treatment needed should a fluid collection develop.  Best wishes.

TT drain out

Dear Pleelee,
  Sorry for your problem and I hope that you contacted your surgeon about it. You will have to be seen by your surgeon as soon as possible, in order to aspirate the fluids if they accumulate., which will make you more comfortable and have less pain.
 In my practice, I do not use drains for tummy tuck, but rather place quilting sutures that attach the skin flap to the muscle and prevents fluid buildup.
                                  Dr Widder