Stairs After Tummy Tuck?

How soon after full tummy tuck can patient climb stairs? I live in the third floor in my apartment building. I will have to cline 3 flights of stairs (8 in each flight of stairs) after surgery. Will this cause risk of infection, wound opening? Should I stay in a recovery center? Not sure if Michiganhas any recovery homes or centers.

Stairs After Tummy Tuck?

Yes, most patients are able to walk up stairs ( and hopefully stay up there for a while) after tummy tuck surgery. I would suggest that you have help on each side of you and you take your time with very slow steps.

Stairs after tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  As long as you limit your stair climbing you should be fine to reach your apartment the day of surgery.  In order to limit your discomfort it would be wise to place both feet on each step rather than alternating steps with each foot as normal.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck

A modest amount of activity is OK after the tummy tuck. I would not recommend that you walk up and down the three flights very often the first week after the surgery. You should be OK by the second week

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Stairs after Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question.  It should be okay for you to climb stairs, though you may need some assistance in the beginning or you may need to take breaks after taking a few steps.  However, this should not cause an increased risk for infection or wound opening.  My patients do stay in a recovery center for at least one night because it is a long procedure that has some serious risks, so we monitor them closely after surgery.  You can always double check with your Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns further.  Best of luck!

Paul Fortes, MD

Climbing stairs after TT

I would prefer that you stay in a Recovery Center for a few days after surgery.   Climbing stairs after TT procedure put you at risk of having complications of your wound.   Have a nice day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Walking and stairs

A few flights of stairs should not be a problem, medically.  It is unlikely to have an increased risk of infection or wound formation. As a matter of fact, I often recommend walking as much as possible to decrease your risk for blood clots. It may, however, be very uncomfortable for the first few days or week to climb stairs. I would assume that oncertain you are in your apartment, you won't be going up and down that often the first week anyway.
Good luck, Ian Lytle, MD 

Ian Lytle, MD
Dearborn Plastic Surgeon