Drain breaking inside while pulling out - what are the chances?

What are the chances of a drain tube breaking inside of me while being pulled out? How can I contact the manufacture to as questions??

Drain breaking inside you? not likely.

Hello!
The chances of a drain breaking inside of you are exceedingly rare!  It does depend on the type and size of drain, and of course how it was placed by your surgeon. If it was inadvertently sutured to you, and then removal was attempted, it impossible with enough force the drain could break. But again  this scenario is very rare.
Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Very low, but indeed possible. I have had it happen once during my fellowship, and once in 29 years of private practice. Both times, the drain remnant was successfully removed with a small procedure. I now always cut the ends of my drains at an angle, and BETWEEN perforations so that I know for sure I have removed the entire drain. The drain manufacturer will not be of help--you need to ask your plastic surgeon. If you are concerned that your surgeon is giving vague reassurances without telling you the truth, then your trust issues are larger than this simple question belies.

You should know that many, but perhaps not all, drains either have a radio-opaque line or are made from X-ray visible materials, just like the X-ray visible threads sewn into surgical sponges so they can be seen on X-ray if they are suspected of being inadvertently left inside the body after surgery. Drains, even perforated ones, are extremely durable, and equally unlikely to be torn during removal unless inadvertently sewn into place by internal sutures.

Really, this is a question that needs to be answered by your surgeon, since s/he will know what type of surgical drain was used, whether or not it is X-ray visible, and if so, then a simple X-ray can answer your concern definitively (if you still mistrust your surgeon's answer). But then, why would you believe what type of drain s/he tells you they use? Sorry for your concern and our inability to be definitive here online. Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Drain breakage is extremely rare. However, drains can be avoided with a No-Drain Tummy Tuck. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

What are the chances of a drain breaking inside of me?

Thank you for your question.  Unless the drain was accidentally sutured or injured during its placement the likelihood of one breaking is extremely small.  Hope this helps.

The chances of a drain "breaking inside of you" is extremely small. Frankly, I do not think contacting the manufacturer with questions will help. Instead, communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource when it comes to information/reassurance. Best wishes.

I have never seen this happen.  Ask your surgeon to see a drain so you will have a better understanding.  I am sure you can google drains online and speak with a surgical supply representative.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD