Sex after gynecomastia surgery. Should I worried?

Hello, 2 weeks ago I had gynecomastia surgery (liposuction/gland removal). I am healing pretty well and the results are already noticeable. I still have some bruising, swelling and scar tissue on both chest , but I guess that is normal at 2 weeks post op. Anyways I had sex twice recently and I'm worried that it may cause more swelling or it may slow down the healing process. My doctor said no sex for at least 4 week but i couldn't wait. Should I be worried?

Gynecomastia Recovery

Hi chcifu,
Thanks for the post. The risk of having sex or any strenuous activity too soon after surgery is developing a hematoma (collection of blood) or a seroma (collection of fluid) in the surgical area. The other potential issue with strenuous activity too soon is that it can increase swelling in the early healing period. I recommend my patients to hold off for 4 weeks but if you do not see any issues I doubt that you have caused any long term damage.

Dr. Dadvand

Gynecomastia post op

You probably did no long term harm. There is a small chance of getting hematoma in the operative area if your blood pressure gets too high [like with exersize or sex]. So be careful. Good luck.

Recommendations Per Full Activity after Surgery

You should start moving around once you up to it. Moderate walking around will help promote healing. Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are doing too much too soon. Do not return to strenuous activities or aerobic exercise for 4-6 weeks. If you want to know what activities are acceptable at any time during the healing process, please call our office.

It is likely that sex can be considered strenuous or fully active and could be hard on your healing process. If you are worried at all or find that more time has passed, it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon and have the area evaluated to check the status of your healing and determine how much activity you are up to. Good luck!

Sexual activity after gynecomastia surgery.

Thank you for your question regarding sexual activity after gynecomastia surgery. You should follow up with your plastic surgeon. Any strenuous activity, including sex, can slow down the healing process. Too much activity can cause elevation in blood pressure, which can cause bleeding. Bleeding or pockets of blood can lead to slow healing. Activity can also cause wound disruption. I agree with your local plastic surgeon: no sex for at least four weeks after your gynecomastia surgery.

If you have any questions regarding gynecomastia surgery, please contact my office.

Sincerely Dr. Katzen.

Two weeks should be just fine. Use common sense and good judgement.                           ////

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Sex after gynecomastia surgery

The best answer for this is to follow your own plastic surgeons recommendations. In my practice, most activity should be normalized by about 10 days. Probably be largest concern is having the patient keep his blood pressure down. I wouldn't hesitate to allow my patients to have sex after this healing period. Another consideration is to avoid any vigorous activity around the chest wall healing site.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon