Late seroma 11 weeks after gynecomastia surgery. What to do? (Photo)

Got operated on 04 nov 15. From 1 week I am feeling more palpability in left breast sub areolar region. Today I got fever and chill. Left breast feeling pain and tenderness Body temperature dropped to 97F. Last visit to doctor on 19th january. Doctor prescribed Acinual plus(bromelain,trypsinabd rutoside tri hydrate). Is it late seroma.. Before from some weeks I feel something stuck under my left nipple mostly after waking. What to do.

Seroma After Surgery

Seroma Formation: A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

There are also bruising and swelling, normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

You are still within the healing process and it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to ensure that the healing process is moving along well. Best of luck to you.

Possible serum after gynecomastia surgery.

Thank you for your question and picture regarding gynecomastia. Congratulations on having undergone gynecomastia surgery.

It is very important that you follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Based solely on your picture and history, it is difficult to determine exactly what this is. That is why it is essential for you to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. This could be a seroma, hematoma, infection or just inflammation, to name a few. A seroma is a collection of fluid. Seromas can happen after many types of surgeries. The treatment of seromas is needle aspiration. If the seroma fluid cannot be removed successfully after 4 or 5 attempts, surgical drainage may be required. If it is a hematoma, this may require needle aspiration. If the hematoma is large, an incision may be required for drainage. Infections are treated with antibiotics. If the infection is persistent, it may require surgical intervention, though unlikely. If it is just inflammation, it may just take time and require further compression.

Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia surgery and possible seroma. If you have any questions regarding gynecomastia or post-operative treatment after gynecomastia surgery, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

your surgeon is the best person who can evaluate and tell whether seroma requires aspiration or not. small seromas better left un touched. ssignificant collections need aspiration to avoid infection

Sumit Saxena, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Minimal seroma post gynecomastia

there is no signs of infection. Mild seromas are nothing to be bothered. proper compression dressing alone is adequate . 

Seroma complicating gynecomastia reduction

This isn't uncommon. Usually it will resolve. I find it helpful to drain these. I would recommend that you go back in the gynecormastia vest until it is gone. Avoid aspirin and non-steroidal antiinflamatory drugs such as motrin. I have seen seromas develop in very small wounds from NSAID use. Call your surgeon. 

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon