What can I use to soften scabs/crust or dried up blood after FUE, so they can fall off. Can I spray like Argon oil? (Photos)

I had my FUE procedure done 2 weeks ago, still have lots of scabs or whatever it is. It's like super dry. I have been washing it everyday, soaking the area with the shampoo first but the scabs don't seem to want to loosen up. I know they would soften if I spray oil on the but don't know if that is ok. Any suggestions? And yes, I did email my doctor, he is overseas and I haven't gotten his reply yet.

Scab removal post hair transplant

After the 5th day you may wash your hair as you normally do.  It is best to moisten the scalp first while in the shower then gently massage the scalp to remove the scabs rather than use an oil.  See the link below for detailed hair wash/clot removal instructions.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can wash your hair as you would normally. There are no special products. If you are concerned, contact your doctor.

You can wash your hair as you would normally.  There are no special products.  If you are concerned, contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Soften scabs/crust or dried up blood after FUE

After two weeks of hair transplantation  it is acceptable  to wash hairs as normal /preoperative period of surgery. Patient may feel free to loosen any scabs on his/her head by massaging and that will not  damage the grafts after 2 weeks . 

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post op care after #hairtransplant

after two weeks it is safe to wash normally and return to your normal activity. If the scabs are too large and hard to remove, they may get softer right after shower. After shower you can pick on the scabs with your clean fingertip or you can use a Qtip to rub against the scabs so they come off easier. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hat can I use to soften scabs/crust or dried up blood after FUE, so they can fall off. Can I spray like Argon oil?

After two weeks post procedure it is perfectly acceptable to to use the shower full on. Feel free to loosen any scabs which are holding on.You will not damage or lose grafts. The scalp heals around the grafts in 8-9 daysso only the scabs will be removed, not the bulbs. 

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon