Would Dysport Have Any Adverse Effect on Pregnancy?

What if a patient gets pregnant while Dysport is still in her system? Do patients need to be on contraceptives for any period of time after getting a Dysport injection?

Dysport and Pregnancy

Though there isn’t any evidence that Dysport negatively affects a growing fetus, I would warn against having any such injections while pregnant. It is always better to be on the safe side and to exercise caution in situations that are not mandatory, such as cosmetic treatments. If possible, I recommend that you wait until after you have given birth and are finished nursing to proceed with your Dysport injections. If you are worried about a Dysport injection that happened prior to knowing you were pregnant, consult your OBGYN for further guidance. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport and pregnancy

Thank you for your question. I would not worry too much if you had Dysport and found out you were pregnant. Dysport works locally where it was injected and the dosing is very small. The makers of Dysport would never consider sponsoring a study to see the safety of Dysport during pregnancy or breast feeding as it would be too risky for them. Likewise, for physicians. I generally provide reassurance for situations like yours and I do recommend that you stop any future injectable treatments until either the baby is born and after breast feeding. I would also let you OB know that you had a Dysport treatment during pregnancy so they are aware.

Dysport

Although no adverse effects on the fetus or baby have been reported, neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended while pregnant or while breastfeeding. 

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Dysport and Pregnancy

Neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Many women have gotten pregnant subsequent to a treatment, and no report adverse effects on the fetus or baby have been reported. However, since there are no published studies testing Botulinum Toxin A on pregnant nor breast feeding women, we do not have a complete understanding of the effects on the fetus or on the baby is unknown. It is not worth the risk.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Avoid Botulinum Toxin A During Pregnancy

Neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.  Toughing it out for a few months is best in order to provide the safest environment for baby.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

No Dysport while pregnant

It is not recommended that Dysport be used in woment who are pregnant or breastfeeding. I would not inject Botox, Dysport, or any filler until after a women has finished breastfeeding.

Dysport not recommended during pregnancy

I would not recommend any Dysport and/or Botox during pregnancy. There have been many women who have gotten pregnant after their injections and have had no complications but why take any chances.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Dysport and pregnancy

It is not recommended to inject Botox, or Dysport while you are pregnant.

If you get pregnant after the Dysport was injected there is no evidence it can cause any problem.

Dysport is great but not recommended during pregnancy

Ingrid,

As a rule, it is not recommended that clients knowingly recieve Dysport or Botox during pregnancy. There have been situations where a patient finds out that they are pregnant after the fact and have not experienced any adverse effects. However since there are no published studies regarding the safety of the fetus, it is best not to take the chance. Regarding contraceptives after treatment, that is a personal choice. Safety is what matters so if you are trying to get pregnant we just ask that you wait and have the injections at a later time.

Dysport and pregnancy

I would not do Dysport or Botox if you were pregnant. If you are trying to get pregnant you may want to avoid these neuromodulators. If you get pregnant you will probably be fine. Many women have gotten pregnant after injections and have been fine. But why take any chances, if you are trying to get pregnant. After an injection Dysport stays locally where placed and does not go through the body. It should be out of your system in 3-6 months.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
Livingston Oculoplastic Surgeon