Dysport Side Effects - What Are Common Complications?

Thinking about getting Dysport for wrinkles in my forehead area. Can the doctors share what are the side effects they are seeing with Dysport so i can be better informed?

Dysport side effects similar to Botox

Dysport has been used for many years in Europe and has a long track record for safety. From personal experience using it here and talking to colleagues who have used it for awhile, the side effects appear very similar to Botox. There is the risk of bruising like with any needle stick, minor headache, incomplete effect and small risk of temporary ptosis (drooping of eyelid or eyebrow) which is more injector dependent than really product related. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport side effects similar to Botox

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport vs. Botox

Dysport is not new. It has been used in Europe for a long time. There are differences with Botox in how the units work- one unit of Dysport is not equal to one unit of Botox- and how much fluid is added to dilute it.

The initial negative reports from dysport had likely to do with the dilution. Dysport initially was diluted more. With that, many advocated it spread past where you injected it and caused issues with eyelid drooping more often.

I have used it on a few patients and seen no difference with botox. I personally continue to use botox as I have used it for a decade and know it very well. But I think it will end up being a little like coke and pepsi- you like one better because you do, and both are good products. Regardless, the competition will help lower prices. And that is good for everyone.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Dysport vs. Botox

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Dysport side effects

Dysport is not new – it has been around for many years and studied as extensively as any of the other toxins on the market. Adverse events exist with all the toxins. What we found in the clinical studies is that as the newer toxins were studied, less side effects were being reported in those investigations — why?  Because we all were better injectors now than we were when the first toxin appeared.  Injecting toxins is a skill — and we get better with time.  There are those that say that Dysport works one day sooner than Botox in many instances; and there are those that say Dysport has more spread – which means in areas like the forehead there is more coverage with potentially less injections.  The side effects of both are similar.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport side effects

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport vs. Botox side effects

Dysport is safe and has been used in Europe for 20 years. Its side effects are similar to Botox which include minor bruising, headache, and potential eyelid/brow droop if injected improperly. The KEY with dysport is the dilution and injection technique. Remember, its not usually the product being injected but who's doing the injections, so make sure your doctor is experienced in both Botox and Dysport. Soon even more neurotoxins will be on the market, such as Purtox and zeomyn.

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Dysport vs. Botox side effects

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Dysport is similar to Botox

Dysport has been in use in Britain since 1990 and has a very good safety profile. The side effect profile is similar to Botox. In theory, Dysport spreads out a little farther than Botox so it is important to stay at least a centimeter from certain structures when injecting it.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport is similar to Botox

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Dysport Side Effects

The side effects of Dysport is the same as Botox. These include bruising, over correction, under correction, “Spock look”, excessive brow elevation, asymmetry, widening of the frown region and ptosis or droopy eyelid. The latter occurs if the injection spreads to the muscle which elevates the eyelid. This will resolve with time, however, lopidine eye drops can help improve the situation. There are certain areas of the forehead which should not receive injections in order to avoid the “Spock” look.

If any untoward result occurs my suggestion is to contact the doctors office and inform them of your concerns. Most likely you would want to be checked and often a minor adjustment or assurance is all that is needed.

Possible Dysport Side Effects

Dysport Side Effects are Similar To Botox

Thank you for your question. The side effects of Dysport are the same as Botox. The most common are bruising and swelling at the injection site. The less common include brow and lid ptosis. Ptosis is temporary and will resolve as the product wears off. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Side Effects Dysport

The common side effects with Dysport are the same as Botox. These include bruising at injection site and local swelling. Less commonly seen, is brow and lid ptosis which is temporary and resolves as the product dissipates.

Side Effects Dysport

Dysport Side Effects

Thank you for your question about Dysport.

The side effect profile of Dysport is very similar to that of Botox Cosmetic.  It is possible to experience soreness at the site(s) of injection, headache, and bruising at the site(s) of injection.  Drooping of the eyelid or dropping of the brow can also occur, but are less likely side effects if done properly. 

To be sure you get your expected result , see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Dysport Side Effects

Dysport : Greater Effects than Side Effects

Some people have stronger more active muscles resulting in visible lines at younger age. Treating wrinkles and lines due to muscle activity is key to maintaining your appearance. The longer they are left untreated the deeper, more severe they become, requiring more product and increased frequency of treatments.

Dysport® may be a good option for patients who have become resistant to Botox® due to repeated treatment over long periods of time.  

Side effects might include headache, nose and throat irritation, injection site pain, injection site skin reaction, upper respiratory tract infection, eyelid swelling, eyelid drooping, sinus inflammation, and nausea.  These are mostly mild and self-limiting.

#Dysporttreatswrinkles  # Dysportsideeffects   #Dysportcomplications