Is there a surgery to reduce the size of my arms?

My arms are very large in proportion to my body. They are not droopy at all, I'm actually 18. Anyways I have underarm fat and my arms are very large (mostly fat and muscle). It makes me not wear tank tops or go swimming. Are there any surgeries to help make them smaller?

Arm contouring

Thank you for your question.  Both Brachioplasty and liposuction are very successful and safe procedures when performed on the a good candidate.  While liposuction is great for volume removal, one has to be careful not to create redundant skin.  In many cases, liposuction can reduce volume while simultaneously removing skin.  This combination surgery will reduce the total circumference of the arm.  Of course, a detailed examination with your surgeon will provide the most valuable information.  It is difficult to give good insight without an exam or photos. good luck with your contouring.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift arm reduction brachioplasty mini-arm lift crescent arm lift VASER arm liposuction

Thank you for your question about the treatment of your upper arms.   Without pictures or a thorough physical examination this is a difficult question to answer.  However, I will try.  From your description, you have excess upper arm skin and fat.  To remove upper arm fat, you need am liposuction.  Since you are young, your skin should have good elastic qualities.  I would try this type of surgery first, namely arm liposuction.  I would seek a board certified plastic surgeon who has done considerable arm surgery.  I would also look for a plastic surgeon who uses the VASER liposuction on the arms.  I believe the VASER yields the best arm liposuction results.  If you are not satisfied with arm liposuction, you can always consider an arm lift or brachioplasty.  If you have excess upper arm skin and fat limited to the upper one third of the arm, you may be a candidate for a mini-arm lift or crescent arm lift.  If you have excess arm skin and fat to the elbows, I would suggest a longitudinal or full arm lift.  Deciding between these arm surgeries requires a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon.  I hope this answers your questions regarding the treatment of your arms.  If you have any other questions regarding an arm lift or brachioplasty, please contact my office.  Sincerely, Dr. J. Timothy Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Liposculpture on arms

Hi, thank you for your question. I am here to help you. As long as you have good skin elasticity, liposculpture of the arms could be beneficial for you. This procedure is attractive to many patients because it removes stubborn fat deposits through tiny incisions permanently with little down time. The main objective of liposuction is to improve body contour and shape. Sometimes performing liposculpture to surrounding areas (such as, arms and torso or arms and back) will allow for heavier/stubborn areas to appear more proportional.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction may be of benefit, but pictures or an exam would be helpful to make recommendations.

Treatment for fatty arms

Liposuction is usually the best treatment for reduction of the upper arm as long as there is not too much loose skin. In someone as you as you, the skin is usually young and tight enough to snap back after the removal of the fat. The procedure entails the injection of a numbing solution into the arms and the aspiration of the fat with small cannulas. The scars are small and hidden in creases of the elbow or underarm. Recovery is a few days of bruising and a few weeks of swelling.

Christine Hamori, MD

Arm Size Reduction

Liposuction could be a great option for you as it is great for volume removal if your problem is fat. Many times after lipo we see the skin form back to your body, if you have excess skin after you may need an arm lift. Liposuction may be the best first step, just keep in mind it will only remove fat not muscle.  It is difficult to tell what you are a good candidate for without photos. Best of luck!

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Doral Plastic Surgeon

Reducing arm size.

Thank you for this question. You may need to have a combination of liposuction, weight loss and/or arm excess removal via an arm tuck or lift. Arm lift surgery will remove excess skin, but the results are better when the patient has achieved "deflation" of the arm after weight loss of a liposuction procedure. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a more specific answer on your case. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Reduce the size of my aerms

Hello and thank you for your question. If there is no sagging then you may well respond to liposuction if there is an appropriate amount which there probably is. If you have very large muscles and little fat then there is nothing that can be done.

Peter Fisher M.D.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon