How long for stitches from brachioplasty to dissolve? Specifically, ones under the skin along the suture line. (photo)

I had brachioplasty on both arms 5 weeks ago. It is healing nicely, per my doctor. However, it feels like some of the stitches along my suture line are trying to poke through the skin.

Stutches?

Thank you for this question. The incision looks well. You might be "spitting" sutures which is a very common issue. I suggest you notify your doctor for instructions on how to address this issue. Best, Dr. ALDO

Sutures poking thru a brachioplasty scar

The skin of the arms is very thin and sutures poking thru the scar is not uncommon.  I recommend that you call your surgeon's office for assistance to correct this matter.  Usually this is a simple fix.  Best wishes 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

How long for sutures to dissolve

This depends on the type of sutures that were used.  In general, most of the sutures that are going to do this are seen in the first 4-8 weeks.  I recommend that my patients return if/when they see these to have me remove them in the office. 

Jonathan Hall, MD

Sutures

This will depend on which stitches your doctor used. It is normal to use at least two layers of sutures, one layer being a row of individual sutures to bring the skin edges close together and then a single stitch in the skin itself, continuous along the wound. 

What does your doctor say?

Richard D. Price, MD
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

How long for sutures to dissolve?

How long it takes for sutures to dissolve will depend on which type of suture you surgeon used during your procedure. For example it will take approximately 200 days for PDS to dissolve while only 100 days for monocryl to dissolve. Sutures can commonly "spit" or poke through the surface of the skin creating a sore spot along your scar line. If a suture pokes through and is not easily removed at home, give your surgeons office a call and they can help trim the suture for you. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Brachiaplasty sutures

Depending upon the type used, internal sutures can take several months to dissolve.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

How long for stitches from brachioplasty to dissolve? Specifically, ones under the skin along the suture line.

Congratulations on having undergone the arm lifting procedure.   Dissolvable sutures dissolve at different rates;  some are gone 4-6 weeks post op, some are absorbed 10 to 12 months post op.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with a specific response. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.