Gynecomastia surgery with Blood Pressure and Diabetes?

I am 29 years old with heavy gynecomastia. I am a diabetic (HbA1c = 8.3%) and have Hypertension(150/110 with medication) and Peripheral Neuropathy. Consulted with a surgeon and he suggested removing breast glands and liposuction and the procedure might take over 2 hours. I will be administered General Anasthesia. I quit smoking in April (after 10 years) and taking tablets for diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol. Please advise if the gynecomastia surgery is safe with my conditions.

Well-controlled diabetes and hypertension are not contraindications to male breast reduction surgery; based on some of the information here, I think you will benefit from better control prior to proceeding.  Improving control of these medical conditions will increase safety. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia repair

Gynecomastia repair requires excision of discoid tissue and liposuction of the periphery; surgery should take approximately one hour; this is safe regardless of diabetes, HTN, etc.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on getting your health issues under control, it seems as if you are working towards a very good improvement!  I would continue to work with your medical doctors to optimize your health, namely your blood pressure and diabetes control.  Once optimized, and cleared by your doctors, you should be a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  

Gynecomastia Surgery with Blood Pressure and Diabetes

It's not easy to determine without reviewing your medical records. It's also important that both #conditions are being controlled with #medication. Furthermore, undergoing #elective surgery may require clearance from your primary #physician as well. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Diabetes and gynecomatia

Based on your provided information, you are probably a reasonable candidate for the surgery, but both your blood pressure and diabetes could be under more optimal control.  Discuss with your surgeon as well as your general medical doctor who is managing your medications.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for the question and if cleared by your internist for surgery with your diabetes and blood pressure controlled, the surgery should be safe.  So get cleared first.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD