I have gynecomastia & my nipples are pointing which are prominently visible when I wear tight t shirts. Any suggestion? (photo)

At the age of 14, I realized that I have a slight male boobs which was quite embarrassing. I am 30 now and i still feel that they are bigger. Hence, I feel ashamed taking my T shirt off in public. Though I am hairy, and it gets kind of camouflaged, but when i wear slightly tight T shirts, my nipples are very prominently visible (pointing). I showed it to a surgeon who said that its not gynaecomestia coz muscle tissues are back there and there is no fat. But its really harming my self confidence.

Doctor Answers 10

Treating Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia.
Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

I have gynecomastia & my nipples are pointing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Deepak,
Whatever you have written is typically how a person with gynaecomastia feels.
Your photos seem to suggest that you have a mild gynaecomastia (grade 1)
the most important indication for surgery though, is how you feel about the condition
the best method for correction is liposuction and gland excision

Gynecomastia or not?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your photos, it looks to me like you have well developed pec muscles.  It is possible that the plastic surgeon you have seen was right and there is very little that needs to be done.  On the other hand, some man have very little gynecomastia but their main concern is puffy nipples.  This can be corrected surgical as well.

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 508 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is quite common and a large number of men feel the way you do. There are different degrees of severity and what bothers you may not bother another. I recommend that you book another consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon and get a second opinion, or 3rd. Find a Plastic Surgeon who you feel understands your concern and your goals.

All the best

Gynecomastia Concerns

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the photos. You would greatly benefit from the Gynecomastia Reduction procedure. My patients can see the results within 24hours of surgery, and it gets better each week as swelling resolves. I recommend this procedure no later than early 30's as we are counting on your skin to be more elastic and "shrink wrap" down over the muscle. The longer you wait, your skin becomes less elastic and can lead to hanging skin afterward, not a good tradeoff. Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does a large number of these procedures and can show you the photos of these patients results so you can judge for yourself.  Best Wishes

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 68 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The diagnosis of gynecomastia is based on the physical finding of prominent breasts.Your breasts are prominent.I would recommend you see a surgeon who treats a large amount of patients with the diagnosis.

Gynecomastia Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi deepakrai,
Thanks for the post and photos. Based on the photos your chest does appear to be too full. I recommend that you see a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery to evaluate you. A physical exam can deermine whether the fullness is due to excess glandular tissue, fatty tissue, or both. Also depending on your medical history a determination of whether hormone tests need to be performed can also be made. The good news is that surgery can significantly improve your chest contour.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Pointy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and you are not alone.  The good news is that surgery will permanently correct the problem.  So see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

Do not compromise when you choose a gynecomastia surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The best advice I can give you is to choose the best surgeon you can get.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

I have gynecomastia & my nipples are pointing which are prominently visible when I wear tight t shirts. Any suggestion?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 I am sorry to hear about the concerns your chest wall of parents have caused for many years.  After viewing your photographs, it does appear that you may have gynecomastia or lipomastia. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.