12th day post op gynecomastia surgery, my nipple incision are open. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi this is 12 th days of my gyn surgery my night side nipple incision are is little open ofter the sutures removed no pain the area is dry no fluid pls advice me

12 Days Post-Op and Incision is Open

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

ACTIVITIES: If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause pain. Wait at least 4 weeks to begin aerobic exercise.

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

If you find yourself worried at all about the healing of your incisions it would be a good idea to schedule your visit with your surgeon to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Good luck.

Looks like minor wound separation after your gynecomastia surgery

this looks like a small wound healing problem and should probably heal by itself with local care, perhaps something like antibiotic ointment (over the counter) and a bandaid. you should at least call your surgeon for his/her specific advice on this and to see if they want you to come in for a wound check.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Incision open after gynecomastia surgery

Healing issues at the nipple incision following male gynecomastia surgery are not uncommon.  In general, local wound care such as a topical antibiotic ointment will allow this to heal in a couple of weeks.  I would recommend returning to your surgeon for evaluation to make sure you are healing as expected.

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Open wound

Thanks for the question and photo. You appear to have a minor wound which should heal soon. I suggest you talk to your surgeon, but I would have my patient keep it clean and apply antibiotic ointment. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi gabey55,
Thanks for the post and photo. It looks like you have a small skin separation after the sutures were removed. This should heal but I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon for any specific recommendation.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Nipple incision issue

You should follow up closely with your surgeon. In all likelihood local wound care will help this heal.  You may need a scar revision eventually.

12th day post op gynecomastia surgery, my nipple incision are open. Any suggestions?

See your surgeon in person is the first thing to do. Or just allow to heal by secondary intension..........

Gynecomastia incision open

Thank you for your question. It is unclear in the picture. If it is minor they usually heal. Pl call your surgeon and talk to him/her.