How common is caved in or inverted nipple post gynecomastia surgery?

I received gynocemastia surgery about a year ago. I am getting a follow up surgery the end of this month. My one nipple has slightly grown tissue back and is decently noticeable that it's bigger than the other and that the gyno is back. My surgeon said he will remove the tissue and the gland but that I take the chance of having a caved in or inverted nipple. This is concerning me and I want to know how common this is. I would like this removed because it does bother me.

Healing Concerns for the Areola after Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Mjf001,
Thanks for the post. The risk of having cratering or inversion of the nipple is mainly based on surgeon experience. Knowing how much to leave behind is the key to this surgery and it differs from one patient to another based on their tissue characteristics. There is no statistic I can give you to say what your chance of cratering is. You have to make your decision based on how much it bothers you and your confidence in your surgeon.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Some gland must be left behind the areola to prevent a "donut" or "caved in"  nipple areola region; the key is leaving just the right amount.
If, however, too much is taken, fat grafting can save the situation, smoothing out the depression and recontouring the makle chest.
Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Nipple issue

There is a fine line with too little or too much. This has to do with experience of the surgeon.  Good luck.

Gynecomastia surgery

Very simple. If the surgeon takes too much tissue, the surgeon will create an indentation. If the surgeon leaves too much tissue, the surgeon may create a puffy or prominent areola. Most breasts are asymmetrical with more or less tissue on each side. In gynecomastia surgery, the surgeon's experience is very important.
Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon