Do I have gynecomastia or just fat? (Photo)

I was wondering whether i have gyno or just fat around my chest. I'm not sure. I am overweight and have lost a lot off weight and built muscle and am still working on it.

Doctor Answers 10

Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon May Better Determine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Do I have gynecomastia or just fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You really have to be examined in person for the surgeon to feel the area and decide if there is just fat or gland in addition to the fat.

Gynecomastia or Just fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 A really good question.  I do a lot of male chest reduction using VASER liposuction and in a majority of cases the shape of the chest is more related to the amount of fat and less to do with the enlarged size of the male breast gland.  That t being said on occasion, the opposite is true.  In fact this week I saw two different patients who looked very close to what your pictures show.  One had a minimally enlarged breast gland and was mostly fat and the other was the opposite.  Only physical examination can determine the difference.  In the big picture it doesn't matter,as the surgical procedure is the same.  In both cases you are removing both fat and part of the gland, it's just a matter of how much of each that your surgeon is doing.  i would suggest finding a surgeon that does that glandular removal portion using minimally invasive technique, to help minimize the size of the incision and thus the scar.  Also, finding a surgeon that does "superficial liposuction  technique" might be well advised as well, because surgeons that do this give you the best chances at skin tightening in this area as well.  Typically surgeon that use the Smartlipo or the VASER are more likely to to have expertise in this technique, but it;s not a fast and hard rule.

Do I have gynecomastia or just fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss, well done!  Truly you should be examined in order to determine the procedure that would be best for you as it is difficult to determine your body structure solely by photos.  Above all else, always choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when considering a surgery procedure.  Best of luck!

Dr. K.

Gynecomastia Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is impossible to say just looking at pictures whether you have glandular breast tissue or just fat on your chest under your nipple areas. But regardless of what the tissue actually is, it is not going to go away without surgical removal.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Gynecomastia is enlargement of the male breast. This can be from fat, breast tissue or a combination of both. Weight gain among other things can cause it. With loss of weight, the enlarged breast may return to normal or not shrink all the way. The fat may shrink but the skin may remain enlarged, which is what appears to have happened to you. No matter what is left, fat, breast tissue or both, you need to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience dealing with this as soon as your weight is stable where you wish it.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Gyno or fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have both.

Gynecomastia can be defined as any excess tissue on a male chest -- and you qualify for that.

And yes, any excess tissue will be a combination of gland and fat -- it is never fat alone.

I have done thousands of gyne operations and have done virtually all of them under conscious sedation (twilight sleep) on an out-patient basis -- an easy, safe  and altogether painless experience.  Trying to do this operation while awake is an invitation to a lot of pain.

Do extensive research and choose your surgeon carefully.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
Sub-specialty in gynecomastia surgery

Fat or Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Difficult to be certain without physical exam, but your photo demonstrates that it may be a combination. If you have reached your target weight, then liposuction would probably be the best option. Seek advice from a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Fat or gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It could be fat, skin or glandular tissue. An exam would be necessary to properly evaluate it.  Good luck.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for the question, I would need to examine you to feel the area and see if there is actual breast tissue or just some fat. Either way some awake lip with a laser should contour that pretty well for you, I do it awake so patients can walk in and walk out!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.