Why would a doctor chose to use stitches instead of Artiss for a facelift? P

Biological adhesives versus sutures in facelift surgery.

No surgical adhesive is currently available that will provide the tensile strength that are required during the early healing phase following facelift surgery.  Artiss is a fibrin glue product which have been around for 25 years. They work well in bonding large surface areas of tissue to seal off adjacent compartments and obliterate air cavities.  Sutures are required for the deep suspension in facelift and remain the best option to close the skin incisions. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use of Artiss for face lifting

Sutures are always required to perform a face lift in order to close the wound.  Artiss is an aerosolized medication that is used to help prevent blood from accumulating under the skin that is elevated during the face lift, and it is not used by all surgeons.  I use Artiss on all of my face lifts for this reason in addition to the fact that it reduces post-operative bruising.  I have had great success with it.  I wish you well!  

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artiss...

Think about tiling a floor.  The mason will use mortar to stick the tiles down to the underlying substrate, and then use grout with the combination of fine cuts to keep the tiles from sliding against each other.

Artiss works the same way.  It glues the underlying layers to each other.  Hower the skin still needs to be sutured or stapled depending on the location to actually fixate the wound edges to each other.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift closure

Sutures are required to close wounds. Artiss can assist with holding tissues together but is not required nor does it ever replace sutures. It simply is not strong enough to counter the effects of muscle movement and gravity, and surgeons don't want patients walking around with big scars or open wounds!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sutures are necessary

Artiss is used to adhere some of the inner tissues together.  The skin still needs to be trimmed and perfectly aligned.  Most surgeons then use and additional two layers of suturing for a fine cosmetic closure.
Artiss and sutures are complimentary.

Artiss

Using sutures to close the skin is routine in facelift surgery. Artiss is a tissue sealant that I use. It is a fine gel that is sprayed on the tissue bed underneath the skin to help with skin adherence to the underlying tissues and help minimize the tension on the skin when it is closed with sutures. It also may help minimize the possibility of fluid or blood collections (hematoma) under the skin flap. Hope this helps.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artiss vs sutures.

Artiss is a tissue sealant and meant to be used to adhere 2 tissue surfaces together.  But it does not have strength to hold skin edges together when there is some tension put on them.  There is the small possibility that it could transmit disease.  A well closed suture line for a facelift is nearly invisble.  It would likely increase the cost as Artiss is more expensive than a single suture.

Facelift closure, stitches versus Artiss

Closing the facelift incisions is one of the most important parts of the procedure. It must be done with great care and precision in order to get the best result. Once healed, the face lift incisions should virtually be undetectable. Fine suturing is preferred over tissue glues because the sutures provide more long term predictable support for healing soft tissues.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why would a doctor chose to use stitches instead of Artiss for a facelift?

Hello Stopskinaging,

Sutures are used to retain the tension and maintain the lift from surgery.  These can be absorbable (which is what I like to use) which allows time for the body to heal in the lifted position and then they go away.  Artiss or any tissue sealant does not maintain tension.  If this is all that was used your lift would disappear very quickly and your scars would widen.  Studies have shown the only benefit when using tissue sealants is to decrease bruising.  They are quite expensive and don't prevent hematomas which is a greater concern with a facelift.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift stitches

stitches are needed to get the best possible scar. they provide precise approximation.
artisse, and other fibrin glues, help stop bleeding after facelifts and allow patients to heal faster. they are a big help during facelifft surgery.