Can I Change My Upward Eye Shape To A More Downturned Look?

I have eyes that tilt upwards and I want them to be more downturned. Can I fix this with surgery? I want this 

Doctor Answers 6

Shape of Eyes Can Be Changed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The shape of your eye can be changed with a procedure called canthopexy. The tendon attaching the outer corner of the eyelid to the bone of the eye socket is moved and stitched to the bone in a different position.

Usually, canthopexy is done to move the corner (canthus) up, as this shape is considered desirable.

Risks can include a malposition, asymmetry, an undesirable cosmetic outcome, failure of the canthopexy to hold with resulting blunting of the canthus.

Consult with one or two surgeons experienced in performing this procedure, before deciding to undergo the procedure.

Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

You can change the position of the lower lid with surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, you can change the position of the lower lid with surgery.  It's important to seek out a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for this procedure as they are specialists in the delicate structures surrounding the eyes.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Can I change my eye shape?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photos it appears that your eyebrows are quite low.  Your eyes, IMHO, already have a downward appearance which is not the aesthetic ideal.  This could be incresde by removing upper eyelid skin thereby forcing the eyebrows even lower but I would decline to perform such a procedure and hope all other surgeons would as well.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

The answer is yes a canthoplasty is the core of the procedure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


This is really the case of needing to be careful what you wish for.  Surprisingly yes the procedure canthoplasty is what is used to change the position of the lateral canthal angle.  Yet very few surgeons have the degree of control over this surgery necessary to accomplish what you are hoping to achieve.  Canthoplasty is primarily a reconstructive method.  The level of control needed to achieve what you are looking for is an extremely rare skill. There is only a hand full of surgeons out there who can help you with this.  Also, I think that it would be a mistake to look to be taken to a negative canthal vector as in your drawing.  Even getting the lateral canthal angles to a neutral position will be very dramatic for you.


Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although it is normal and more attractive to have a higher outer canthus than inner canthus, in your case it might be a bit higher than usual.  It can be lowered by CANTHOPLASTY.  However, you don't want to lower it as much as you have in your drawing.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Most people want the shape to go up!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A positive intercanthal angle (the outside higher than the inside)  like you have is generally considered attractive, especially in a female. A negative angle (the outside is lower than the inside) is not attractive, and is associated with congenital deformities. I advise you to leave your eyes alone. If it is not broken, do not fix it!

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Edison Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.