Can I Get a Blepharoplasty at 17 Years Old with Parental Consent?

When I was 9 I ice skated for the first time and I fell down, on my face of course. My right eye was swollen for weeks and when the swelling went away I saw that my right upper eyelid was really droopy. Today I am 17 years old and my right upper eyelid is still noticeably very different from my left. I want a blepharoplasty to fix it. Am I old enough with parent consent?

Doctor Answers 6

Ptosis surgery in teenager

You have right upper eyelid ptosis.  It can be done at any age.  You need parental consent until you become 18 years old.  Seek an oculoplastic surgeon when you and your guardians are ready.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Can I have an upper eyelid surgery (eye lift) at 17 with parental consent?

 It's interesting that, at first glance, the volleyball photos makes your right upper eyelid look like true ptosis exists.  However, the right eye itself is clearly higher than the left in that photo.  In the other photo, where both eyes are even and at the horizontal plane, I do not see evidence of true eyelid ptosis nor do I see any marked difference in the amount of upper eyelid skin between the right and left upper eyelid.

 Your medial (by the nose) eyebrows are low and I believe this is the primary contributing factor to the upper eyelid fullness.  If you have received Botox injections in this area, try stopping them for a year.  If not, IMHO, you should not have an upper eyelid surgery or ptosis repair until you and your parents have a couple of consultations with an occuloplastic surgeon (one consult) and a facial plastic,  general plastic surgeon or cosmetic surgeon (second consult) for evaluation and recommendations. 

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

You have ptosis and can be corrected

You can have your ptosis repaired and in addition may require some cosmetic refinment for symmetry. You had traumatic avulsion of the levator apponerosis. The other observation is the right eye brow position and possible orbital wall involvement. I would suggest full evaluation and you may need more than just ptosis repair since your right eye brow and right cantel attachment is lowered due to injury.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Colleagues are correct about this.

You do have upper eyelid ptosis with the right side look for ptotic than the left.  You also have a heavy forehead.  However, one step at a time.  Blepharoplasty is surgery that removes skin.  What you need is the tendon of the upper eyelid carefully repaired.  In Omaha, I would recommend seeing James Gigantelli, M.D at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Blepharoplasty with parental consent

As long as your guardian consents, it is very reasonable to perform surgery to correct your eyelid asymmetry (even though you are a minor).  You will want to visit a qualified plastic surgeon with your parents to discuss the process, the risks, and the postoperative care as well as your expectations. 

It appears to be ptosis repair not blepharoplasty that you need

Ptosis repair can be done at any age with parental consent. Please make sure your surgeon has considerable experience with ptosis repair and can show you before-and-after photos of patients with eyelids like yours who had successful correction of the ptosis.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Edison Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.