Will the remaining fat after gynecomastia surgery "gland excision alone" go with working out?

I had my both glands excisioned a week ago without doing liposuction (both of them were grade 2 so not that big)..but I still have that protrusion and I don't feel satisfied with the results. I feel like it's fat concentrated on that space left by the gland..so my question is will that protrusion go after getting myself more lean? or it won't go without doing liposuction?

Will the remaining fat after gynecomastia surgery "gland excision alone" go with working out

Working out will not cause spot reduction of fat on your chest. If it is fluid it might be able to be removed or aspirated. If it is still fat, then you will require liposuctuon to flatten it out

Gynecomastia

Hi, Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell without seeing you in person. Usually after a week you are still swollen. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon about your concerns. It generally takes about 6 months to see what the final results will be. With diet and exercise you should be able to get rid of some of the fat if you have any left.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia surgery, male breast surgery, gland excision without liposuction , Post operative swelling

Thank you for the query. However without seeing you in person or seeing pictures it is difficult to decide about the results and predict the outcome. One has to wait for at least 3 - 6 months to see the outcome. The plant to do only gland excision may have been taken in consultation with you since the glandular element may have been significant and the fat content low. Hopefully once all settles down, you may be able to get the fat off your chest with diet control and exercises.Best wishes+

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Since you just had surgery a week ago, then you are likely very swollen and should give it at least 6 months to settle down.  Best of luck.

Will the remaining fat after gynecomastia surgery go with working out?

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite recommendations, but if all the glandular tissue was removed leaving only fatty tissue behind you may be able to make an improvement in appearance through diet and exercise alone.  In most cases for contouring liposuction is performed at the same time as gland excision.  Hope this helps.

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

After Gynecomastia surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Liposuction after gynecomastia

It's hard to answer your question without seeing photos.  In my practice, it's rare for me to remove glandular tissue without sculpting the surrounding areas with liposuction, but there are cases where I simply do glandular tissue resection.  In your situation, since surgery is already over, there is no harm in trying to improve things on your own. I would recommend seeing how much improvement you can get with weight loss and exercise.  If after 6 months or so you are still unhappy, you should revisit your surgeon regarding liposuction, or some other means to reduce the residual fat component.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon