Feeling a burning sensation w/ little numbness on my chest whenever I remove my compression vest & wear a t-shirt. Advice?

It's been about 14 days post surgery had bilateral gynecomastia surgery (lipo plus incision) no meds was recommended by doc plus he told me that I could start exercising after 2 weeks...currently feeling a burning sensation with a little numbness on my chest when ever I remove my compression vedt & wear a regular tshirt is just a few minutes but when I bare body not much sensation pretty confused and worried when will this feeling go away

Recovery from Gynecomastia Surgery and Resuming Workouts

After your #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing.Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. However, you must have your doctor's approval before you begin any workout regimen.

Feeling a burning sensation with little numbness with compression vest and t-shirt

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery symptoms.  Oftentimes after a surgery involving liposuction and direct glandular removal patients can have temporary alterations in the sensation to the tissues of the chest region.  This is due to irritation of the nerves found within the skin.  This normally spontaneously resolves in the first 6-8 weeks after surgery, so hang in there and allow your results more time to heal.  Hope this helps.

Burning after surgery

Sorry you are having some issues.  Don't worry too much though since it is only a couple weeks since surgery. Strange burning sensations, twinges, numbness, tightness can all be normal.  The surgery caused an injury to the body and now the inflammatory process is trying to do damage control.  That can lead to numbness, pain, burning feelings and swelling.  Continue communication with your physician and follow their instructions closely.  Good luck"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Numbness when removing compression vest

Each surgeon has their own instructions for their patients. For my patients, I do not want them to remove their compression vest except to shower once their drains have been removed and they are to wear the vest for 6 weeks. Also, they are not to resume any type of formal exercise for 4 to 6 weeks depending on how they are healing. 

Miguel Delgado, MD