Should I Touch my nose.. Again? (photos)

2 years ago I had rhinoplasty/septoplasty to fix my nose after I was hit with a softball ten years ago. I also had my bifurcated nasal tip fixed. When I am doing rigorous exercise and inhale deeply through my nose, my nostrils collapse. This has led me to mouth breathe a lot more. I also have had family members comment on how upturned my nose seems to be getting with time.. should leave my nose alone, or get a consultation for a revision.. Thanks!

Revision Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. If your nostrils have collapsed and you now have to breathe through your mouth, it is definitely cause for a revision procedure. It has been long enough after your first rhinoplasty to consider a revision rhinoplasty. I recommend consulting a board certified facial plastic surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty. Keep in mind that revision procedures are more complex. Best of luck!

Should I Touch my nose.. Again?

Dear jujubeeAs far as the appearance, the answer is simple. Are you happy? does it impact what you feel and do. If you feel your nose looks good, you dont need revision. As far as function, if your breathing is more difficult through your nose, an experienced surgeon can examine you and give you a sense of the amount of improvement possible with surgery. In general, a consultation is a reasonable step to making a decision. Don't be pressured into surgery if you are unsure.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Possible Revision Rhinoplasty

In one of the pictures you posted it does appear that the tip of your nose is rotated  too much and the bridge is scooped out. Consult with a revision specialist for an evaluation and discussion of alternative treatments so you can make an educated decision about "touching" your nose again.

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

Revision rhinoplasty is more difficult than a primary rhinoplasty, so it usually takes a thorough internal and it external examination of the nose to make a determination about what can and cannot be accomplished.  There are some improvements that can be made to the nose such as turning the tip downwards,  building up the bridge, and  placement of a cartilage grafts to prevent the nostrils from collapsing.  Make appointments with 3 very busy rhinoplasty surgeons for best results.