What is this part of the nose called? (photos)

The arrow in this photo is pointing to a small indentation just under the alar dome. It's where the intermediate crura curves into the dome. Is there a name for that indentation? Thanks.

Doctor Answers 5

Soft tissue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi hanginthere,This part of the nose is generally called the soft tissue triangle or nasal facet.  It is where there is an absence of cartilage with a thin layer of overhanging skin.  The absence of cartilage allows the skin to indent in this area.Best,Warwick Nettle

nasal anatomy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 The area the arrow is pointing to is known as the soft tissues facet, and is a normal occurrence. When it's significantly depressed from previous surgery, small cartilage grafts can be added to that area to build it out.

Rhinoplasty: nasal anatomy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The area indicated in the photo is called the "Soft tissue triangle." It is one of the aesthetic subunits of the nose. It is unique because there is no cartilage associated with it.

Soft tissue triangle

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your arrow is pointing to the "soft tissue triangle" of the nose. It is a specific region of the nose beneath the lower lateral cartilage. If you don't like the indentation you can consider inserting a piece of cartilage there, or even some injectable filler for a temporary solution.

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

What is this part of the nose called?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
That is called the "soft tissue triangle". There's no cartilage in that structure, hence an indentation can sometimes be seen.
Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.