I am 18 and I have a weak chin. Will my chin grow yet?

Hi doctor! My name in Alan and my age is 18. I have a delayed growth (about 2 years). My chin is weak. Will my chin/jawline grow yet or it has stopped it not grow now. Will it stay weak forever? Secondly are there any steroids or supplements to support chin growth.

Doctor Answers 5

Do you have a weak chin?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Keep your chin up

Alan, even though you mentioned a growth delay, the vast majority of your jawline growth has occurred.  You might see some thickening or even some additional width near the angle of the jaw, but your overall projection will not appreciably change.  Because of that a chin implant would be a great solution.  Simple, effective, and natural.  

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Chin implant procedure for weak and recessive chin profile

At age 18, patient's of the mandible bone is probably finished growing, therefore consider a chin implant  to augment the chin forward.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  In our practice, we use Implantech Silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate.  For many before and after results and diagrams of the implants, please see the link and video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

I am 18 and I have a weak chin. Will my chin grow yet?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  At 18 years of age, your chin is fully formed and will not enlarge.  The chin is formed by the early teen years becoming its adult size and shape.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.


Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Will a man's chin grow more after age 18

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.

  • Men continue to grow bone in their faces until about age 25.
  • So your face is likely to get stronger and heavier with time.
  • But if the chin is weak compared to the rest of your face, it will get stronger but will not catch up with the rest.
  • A chin implant is the correct treatment for a weak chin.
  • There are no steroids or supplements that will alter your bone growth specifically to enlarge your chin.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.