Why do doctors prefer extended anatomical chin implants for females? How are they better than regular anatomic implants? (Photo)

I've been researching chin implants for a while now, and it seems that most doctors use Implantech extended anatomic implants. I haven't seen many augmentations that are done with regular anatomical implants, without the wings. Why are extended ones are more preferable/popular? Is there specific type of face that would benefit from simple anatomical implant?In other words, who would be a good candidate for anatomical chin implant without wings.

Extended Anatomical Chin implants may not lead to a feminine chin appearance, and may not be not right for everyone..

The Implantech Extended Anatomical chin implants are mostly helpful for those with early jowling, and an indentation between the chin and jowl - "The pre-jowl sulcus".

We may prefer Anatomical (not-extended) chin implants when there is no jowling, and when we do not wish to make the chin wider on front view, but wish to add chin projection. We like to keep a heart-shaped lower 2/3 of the face on front view. Hope this helps you.

Dr Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Female Chin Augmentation

For many women extended chin implants are NOT the best choice. From the front view such longer chin implants can make the chin wider which may be an aesthetic disadvantage for some women. The front view and not just the side view should be considered when selecting a chin implant style.

Why anatomical chin implants?

When we enhance the chin with implants, we want to improve the jawline balance. Placing a small implant without the extensions is easier surgically but the results are clearly inferior in 99% of patients. The profile view will look similar independent of implant style; its the confluence into the jaw that lacks harmony unless the extended style is used. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why do doctors prefer extended anatomical chin implants for females? How are they better than regular anatomic implants?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  Chin implants come in many different shapes, sizes and thickness but in a general sense: chin implants without a tapering wing = extended anatomical design will create more of an "offset" forward projection that can make the chin appear elongated (called "pharaoh's chin).  This was a much older design referred to a "button" implant.  These were popular in the 80's and 90 but were generally and appropriately (in my humble opinion) replaced with the more aesthetic extended anatomical design.  An experienced Chin Implant Surgeon will be able to select the proper chin implant for you and equally important explain why a "certain size or style" isn't the correct one for you.

Hope this helps.